cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wifi but internet drops out?

dbeevers
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 24 of 24

Hi

For the past few months i've been having internet issues but only over wifi.

Its quite random when it happens and I only knew about it as I leave an echo on for the dog and when I got home it was off.

Over xmas and being at home I noticed it and found that even though the internet over wifi was off I could screen share over wifi from my laptop to my mac mini which is hard wired to the router and the internet was working.

Eventually it will come back on but its quite annoying.

I've been through all starts and reboots and moved the router and changed channels.

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Hi

Thanks for the update.  You would think the routers would play nice when close together, but I'm sure this will help others in a similar situation.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

So an update to all this.

So having had the new router, it was still playing up to the point of being unusable for using wifi for internet. This had a knock on effect of not being able to use anything via wifi from the door bell to house alarm (wired was ok).

Spoke to my neighbours who informed me that they had changed service providers in January and their router was at the other side of the party wall and 1.5m separating them.

Now the software Keith had pointed me to showed ours and next doors dropping out but they were on different SSIDs for 2.4Khz and 5Khz. All this was quite random some days we could use it and others not although oddly between 11pm and 6am no drop outs at all!

In the end I pulled up the carpet got under the floorboards and put in a longer RJ11 cable (4m) and moved the router to the opposite corner of the room and its seems to be ok now, figure it must have been some kind of interference?

Thanks to all that helped

Regards

David

0 Likes

Message 3 of 24

Hi dbeevers

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

dbeevers
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 24

Hi Karl,

Router arrived yesterday, so new router and different manufacturer.

I'm gonna live with it for a few days but so far its not good, only thing I've changed are the ssid name and passwords.

Cheers

0 Likes

Message 5 of 24

Hi

Router is now on the way to you.

Regards,

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

Hi Chris,

That would be great.

Thanks David

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

Hi David,

Would you like me to send a router to test with as per Keith's advice?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 24

I have been doing some diagnostics via PMs & although the interference is not as bad, some devices still keep dropping out. Just to be on the safe side, please could we try a replacement router to at least rule that out?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 24

No worries David, whenever will be fine.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 10 of 24

Thanks Keith.

Late replies are due to work plus trying different settings over a period of time rather than throwing my hands up after an hour and giving in 😂.

I've downloaded your PDF, thanks, and have time tomorrow morning to have a look at it and send stuff to you, thanks for your help.

David

Message 11 of 24
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 24

Hi @dbeevers @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Sorry, I must have missed that.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Message 13 of 24

Thanks Keith. I think they asked yesterday for your guide please.

Debbie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 24

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Of course, I am happy to help. However, I did offer my help several times, but so far @dbeevers has not accepted my offer.

Keith

Message 15 of 24

Hi dbeevers

Apologies for this.

@KeithFrench - could you help please Keith?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

Hi

So after living with optimisation off for a while and going from Auto to various set frequencies its still not happening as it did.

Today for instance there was no connection when I came home, I knew because Alexa was off plus I couldn't get online until I did a reboot, as I've said the hardwire works fine just the wifi side of things and this has only been happening since maybe November.

Feel free to send me a guide. Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 24

If no better, the next stage involves me sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Message 18 of 24

Hi dbeevers

Thanks for your reply.

The WIFI optimisation has now been switched off. Please let us know how the connection compares.

Debbie

0 Likes

dbeevers
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 24

Hi

If you could that would be great and I'll see how I get on.

Thanks

Message 20 of 24

Hi dbeevers

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I can see that you are using the Sagemcom WIFI hub.

Would you like me to switch off the WIFI optimisation so you can test different wireless channels, to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes