cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

slowed internet

Sefa78
Team Player
Private Message
Message 21 of 21

Hello everyone, I'm having problems with my internet speed after I moved my router upstairs. So before I moved it upstairs I was getting about 50-55 mbps download speed and 18 mbps upload, after I moved it my download speed remained the same however my upload went down to about 6-7 mbps which is not nice. The thing I don't understand is why my upload has gone down while my download stayed the same, is this fixable by any means?

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi,

as it's now late on a thursday, we would probably be looking at monday for the first day for the engineer, but I've sent a PM to confirm some security details.

Please let me know if you want to test a router first or go straight to an engineer.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

yes please

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Hi Sefa78

Would you like me to send you a Private Message to confirm some details/security?

We can then start to arrange the engineer visit and check for first availability.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

How long does it take for the engineer to visit? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

Hi Sefa78

There is more than 1 re connection showing on the line.

Would you like to try with a replacement router first? If we raise this to Openreach and the router is faulty then they would charge for this visit, they also wouldn't replace the router.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

My brother accidentally tripped over the cable yesterday maybe that's showing as a reconnection also I have 2 routers and I've already tested with another. I do not believe the problem is on my side, I need this to be fixed soon because the master socket is not in a convenient location, I am having to connect my desktop pc to the internet by tethering my phone.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that. I've just re-checked the connection stats now and I can see re-connections on the line which can affect the broadband speed. Do you have an alternative router that you can test with? If not, then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Good afternoon, can you check the connection to see if DLM has started to increase the speed? Btw my internet kept on lagging out yesterday night at around 12am 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Morning,

Thank you. We'll re-check the connection stats again on Friday to see if DLM has started to increase the speed again.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

alright I'll leave it connected to the master socket for 48 hours, what should I do after?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Your line profile is limiting your upstream speed so could you leave your router connected to your master socket for at least 48 hours to allow the line management system (DLM) to monitor and respond to any improvement by moving you to a faster profile

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Yes it is currently connected to the master socket

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Morning,

Can I just confirm, is the router now connected to the main socket at the moment? We can then re-check the connection stats again.

Thanks

0 Likes

Sefa78
Team Player
Private Message
Message 14 of 21

Is there no solution, all I want is by previous download and upload speeds?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

yes the router is connected to an extension socket however the speeds are the same on the extension socket and the master socket. in addition because the master socket is down stairs I get lag when gaming

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however the connection looks very unstable. Did you move the router to an extension socket?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

yea I also left it off for about 35 minutes just to be sure but the connection was the same

0 Likes

nophead
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 18 of 21

They generally recommend leaving it off for 30 minutes here to get a new connection. Also it might take some time for the line speed to adapt to the better line conditions. 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 21

Well today I tried plugging the router into the master socket and did a speed test but my upload speed was still the same, it was still 6-7 mbps. I don't think this problem is caused by my side but more by talktalk. can they not do a refresh or do something like that on my line?

0 Likes

nophead
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 20 of 21

If you moved it from the master socket to an extension it can reduce the speed. Upload seems to be more sensitive to noise than download in my experience.

When I first got broadband I used an ADSL modem plugged into a phone socket upstairs and it worked fine for a long time until more customers got broadband and the cable bundles got more noisy. When I investigated I realise all the many phone extensions were a star off the master socket, which is very bad for ADSL. I rewired it so the microfilter was at the master socket and the digital side went only to the extension upstairs and all the other phones where a star off the phone side. Again that worked for a long time but eventually the signal degraded so it didn't. At that point I replaced the wiring upstairs with a low noise phone cable and that got it working for some more time. Eventually I had to move the router to the master socket to get a good enough signal. That is inconvenient for me because it is in the garage so I replaced the phone extension upstairs with an Ethernet cable.

0 Likes