Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Allow my router to ping

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

I have responded to your message, but someone apparently marked it as spam (so I was informed). I have no idea why.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi malcs1,

Apologies for this. I've moved this from the Spam Section now. If you run a speed test when this happens what speeds do you receive?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

It seems to vary on the time of day, but right now at 18:40 I did 5 speedtests immediately after each other and got the results:

12.3 / 7.89

17.2 / 8.07

13.5 / 4.72

16.9 / 7.01

22.5 / 6.73

Not very impressive speeds!

And yet a weeks or so ago I was getting speeds between 27.0 - 32.6 down and a steady 8.57 - 8.73 up.

(See attached doc that contains a screenshot of my speedtest history.

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

I've asked our Network Team if they can take another look now to see if they can see any Network or Exchange issue that may be causing this and will let you know as soon as I hear back.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

Our Network Team have advised that they have tried to call you and have left a voicemail. They have advised that they have checked from their side and can't see any issues with the line or at the exchange. They have advised that the current wifi channel looks to be congested and also to try separating the SSID's. Just to confirm, have you tried to separate the SSID's?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes, I missed 2 calls from the Network Team. But I tried to call back on the number they left me and it is not possible to speak to anyone on that number - it seems like an automated system.

And what is the SSID? What do I do?

Highlighted
Highlighted
Team Player

Okay, I've done that - and I've also put the router back onto automatic channel.

I don't think I have any devices that can use the 5GHz band. 

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

Thank you for trying this. Has their been any improvement so far?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

I haven't noticed any difference. On my PC it still sometimes says "no internet" or "limited internet". And I just did a speedtest at (11:56am) which returned 17.15 Mbps / 8.68 Mbps.

I am waiting for the engineer who telephoned me to try again, as there is no way I can contact him.

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

Thanks, is the PC also connected wireless? Would you like us to arrange a TalkTalk Engineer visit to complete some testing at the property?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes, it's wireless. I did have someone suggest that I use ethernet to test it, but I don't have a cable that long. (It's in a different room.)

I would really like this sorted out, so a visit from a Talktalk engineer might be the solution.

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

If you'd like us to go head with the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability (Appointments are available between 7am-6pm on weekdays and 7am-4pm on Saturdays. We'll give you a 2-3 hour timeslot for your appointment; your engineer can arrive at any time within this timeslot)

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

Thanks for the PM, I've replied requesting a little more information 

Chris

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

I've booked the earliest appointment available 16-Jul-20 09:00 - 12:00, please let us know how you get on 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

That will be fine, thanks.

It does seem to vary from day to day. Today, for instance, it isn't so bad. But on Sunday afternoon my broadband and wi-fi totally stopped for over 5 minutes, which made me restart my router.

Highlighted

Thanks for the information, hopefully the engineer will be able to find what's causing the problem

Chris