Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

D-Link DSL-3782 strange application entries

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Earlier this year the router at our Community Hall was hacked remotely, and the DNS settings amongst others were changed.

I've therefore had a look at my own settings, and found some items under Applications which give me some concerns, as I have not created them.  The rules are shown in the attachment.

There is some comfort that most are set as Inactive - and when I select the edit option, Enable application is set to disabled. The last two are set to Active, but I do not have an Xbox.

I have reset my router, once using the option under System Settings, and this evening via the reset button on the back of the unit.  In both cases the settings remained unchanged.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Router application settingsRouter application settings

Highlighted
Community Star

This is port triggering, unless you have the relevant games console or run these applications on a device, they are all perfectly safe. If you have any concerns generally over open ports go to:-

grc.com

and run the ShieldsUp test.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi RussellR

I can send you a replacement router and a returns bag so your router can be returned. Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Thanks @KeithFrench 

So if I understand you correctly, these rules are set automatically, even if I do not have relevant devices or software?

Preaumably I could delete them if I wished, but I wonder if it might be sensible to leave them in place and mark them all as disabled, on the premise that should something attempt to connect in through these ports the router would follow the existing rules and block the connection, rather than simply trigger the port to open.  If it did simply open the port, having a rule at all would seem to make no sense - it would be like having an external door to your house but no lock, so anybody could come and go as they please.  And having no rule could leave the way open to create one to always allow a connection.

Your reminding me of ShieldsUp! was useful, as I see that I do have two open ports and one which reported itself as closed to resolve.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Yes please @OCE_Debbie 

That would be much appreciated.

Regards

Russell

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Russell

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Star

This is part of the router's default configuration, but it is not a worry unless you have any of the said equipment/applications.

Before a port can be open, the gaming device or PC application needs to open the port. It has total control of this, not the router, although these ports can be blocked from the internet via a lack of this config or port forwarding.

Without knowing which ports GRC is reporting open, if you have the TalkTalk TV box this will open TCP port 1024 from time to time.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they?