cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fast fibre Speed boost added but not getting promised speeds and connection dropping off

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I added speed boost to fast fibre 3 weeks ago with a promise of a minimum download speed of 56mbps. When it first connected the WiFi hub dashboard showed 66.1mbps download and 20mbps upload speeds. Within days the speed dropped to low 40's  and is currently about 47mbps, there have been occasions when monitoring it during past week when speed drops to single figures and low 20's. The connection has also been unstable, dropping out at least 6 times in the last week. Upload speeds seem to  be generally reasonable. Can TalkTalk please adjust settings to give me the speeds promised or higher  and a stable connection.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

Sync has increased to 55mb.

Can you check the home phone and tell me if there is any noise or interference on the line.

I am detecting a bridge tap when testing.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl

Not aware of any noise or interference just normal tone

Highlighted

Hi

OK, as the tests are still picking this up I've asked networks if we can arrange a non appointed Openreach engineer or if they will request an appointment.

I'll let you know as soon as I get an update from them.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Highlighted

Hi

Openreach are requesting an appointment.  I'll drop you a PM with the info required etc.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Initial problem with speed issues was resolved following visit by TalkTalk engineer and then a Openreach Engineer, which resulted in Openreach confirming download speed was now 80mbps and upload of 20mbps on 21st August. WIFI router dashboard confirmed the same with actual speed test giving 77mbps download, which was brilliant.

Until 4 days ago, when router reset itself and download on dashboard showed 78.5mbps download and 20mbps upload. Speed test initially dropped to mid 60's mbps but since then has dropped significantly initially to 15mbps download and now about 36mbps.

I raised this issue in a personal post and was asked to raise problem in this forum so it can be addressed.

All speed test are done over wired connection.

Please also  note the Openreach Engineer confirmed when he visited that the line was more than capable of staying at 80mbps plus download speed.

Could you please address this and get the speeds back to where they should be with out delay.

Highlighted

Hi Mac55,

Thanks for posting on your thread 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems again with your service. Line test isn't picking up any issues and your router is in sync at 78.5Mbps

Can you switch your router off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and run a couple of speed tests to see if there's any improvement 

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Switched of router for 30 plus mins then restarted. WIFI router dashboard confirmed line speed 78.7mbps download. Ran series of speed tests, initial one at 74.97mbps  then  64mbps, 19.1mbps (!)Hour later 62/ 75.6 and 46.65mbps.

This morning did a further series of speed tests as follows :

60 then13.5 (!) 70.8,  36, 63 then 77.5 (!) then 56 and 39 - all Mbps.

As you can see jumping to extremes and disappointing given it had be running well until 5 days ago.

Highlighted

Hi Mac55,

Thanks for the update. When you ran the speed tests did you have many devices connected to the line at the same time? Does the speed seem to drop at a certain time of the day or is this random?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Two other devices , ipad and mobile connected but this is no different to when things were previously running ok.

Random times,  not necessarily any particular time.

Could it be the router?

Highlighted

Hi Mac55,

Thanks for letting me know. Do you have an alternative router that you could test with to see?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Don't have another router, just the FAST 5364

Highlighted

Hi

Would you like to try a replacement hub or a different model to see how the speeds compare.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Replacement hub would seem to be best option as the one I have was fine until 5 days ago and I believe it is still TalkTalks  most recent model?

Highlighted

Hi

Ok, replacement hub on the way.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks Karl, let’s hope it deals with the problem 

Highlighted

No Problem 🙂

Fingers crossed at the ready.

Karl 

Working From Home Tips