would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fix a dropping broadband connection

19 REPLIES 19
missjray
Popular Poster

Hi,

I have had fibre broadband with wifi hub since December, for the first month or so it was excellent but now it regularly drops for a few minutes almost every evening which is really frustrating. If my partner or I are already using one device, for example a laptop, another device such as a phone or another laptop connecting frequently cause it to drop. We don't play games or even stream on two devices at the same time so I believe the connection should be able to deal with the amount of traffic. By dropping, I mean the wifi hub goes from constant blue light to flashing orange light for a few minutes.

Resetting the router often solves the problem but I am looking to do some work which would mean requiring a constant and reliable connection so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jo

KeithFrench
Community Star

I sometimes think the colour of the light being white or blue is a bit of a perception issue! I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi Jo

Please can you update your Community Profile to include your TalkTalk telephone number, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

missjray
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

I've included the account number in my profile, I don't know the phone number because I don't use it - is that ok?

Thanks,

Jo

Community Team

Hi Jo

The landline number should be on your Welcome Pack, we would need this to be added to your Community Profile so we can locate your line details.

Thanks

Debbie

missjray
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Thank you, I've added the number to my profile now.

Best wishes,

Jo

Community Team

Hi Jo,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

Does your master socket also have a test socket? As soon as we have confirmed this then we can pass this straight over for further investigation.

Thanks

missjray
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle,

I’m afraid we don’t have a telephone to test the voice service. 

There doesn’t seem to be a test socket, only the master socket installed when we moved to Talk Talk.

Thanks for your help!

Jo

Community Team

Hi Jo

Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket?

Thanks

Debbie

missjray
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

I hope this helps, sorry that it's the wrong way up!

Thanks,

Jo

IMG_1198 (1).jpg

Community Team

Hi Jo

Thanks for your reply.

There should be 2 clips on either side of the socket so the lower section of the face plate can be removed. Can you see these clips?

Thanks

Debbie

missjray
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Yes I can see the clips at the bottom, please do let me know what information you need next.

Thanks,

Jo

Community Team

Hi Jo

Please can you press on the clips so the lower section of the face plate comes away? Please can you then connect a filter and router at the test socket? (underneath the faceplate)

Thanks

Debbie

missjray
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Thanks, please could you just explain what the filter is?

Jo

Community Team

Hi Jo

You should have received a microfilter with your router. This help page provides some further information Your guide to microfilters

Thanks

Debbie

missjray
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Sorry I don't seem to have a microfilter, is there any other way to test the connection?

Best wishes,

Joanna

Community Team

Hi Jo

Apologies for this. I can send a replacement for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Testing at the test socket would help to rule out any faults with the faceplate or internal wiring.

Thanks

Debbie

missjray
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Thanks, that would be great.

Best wishes,

Jo

Community Team

Hi Jo

Please can you send me a Private Message to confirm the name on the account, I can then send a replacement microfilter.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Jo

Thanks for the Private Message.

The replacement microfilter is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Debbie