cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

My Speed appears to be capped at 8mbps, why?

15 REPLIES 15
Scoobierb5
Wizz Kid

Hey all,

So, my connection isn't great, but is currently reporting a down-stream speed of 21mbps, which is fairly typical for me.

However, my speed is capped at a lot less than this.  Steam, as well as TalkTalk's own speed test is showing a MUCH lower download speed - see the attached picture.  Edit: ok, .JPG isn't valid apparently, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Basically, while I'm connected at 21mbps, I'm getting about 8mbps.  I've tried restarting the Router, but it's not helped.  We had some storms a few days ago - as did much of the UK - so perhaps this is the cause?  However, things usually recover a LOT more quickly.

I'm not going to go through the whole "plug it into the Master socket" process again.  I've done this countless times and it hasn't once made any difference outside of margin of error.  Plus it's a pain in the rear to do.

Hope someone can help.  Note: I've not been about much of late, so this might have been an issue for a number of days.

Note: I will try simply powering off the Router for 30 mins or so - this sometimes helps - but I need internet access at the moment.

Cheers,

Scoob.

Scoobierb5
Wizz Kid

Update: I really couldn't get done what I needed to at the slow speeds - everything taking 2-3x as long - so I went ahead and powered off for 30 minutes.

This has helped, bumping my speed up to about 75% of where it was, but it's still not need the reported downstream.

I may leave the router off for another 30 minutes later, to see if I can regain any more speed.  This *does* appear to be the best thing to try first, as expected, even if it is very inconvenient.

Scoob.

Community Team

Hi Scoob,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. How have you found the speed since your last post?

Thanks

Scoobierb5
Wizz Kid

Hi,

Have been trying to reply but forums keeps breaking and losing my post.

Still getting slow speeds, it's not recovered by its self.  Will try another power off of the router at some point to see if that helps.

Scoob.

Community Team

Hi Scoob,

I'm sorry to hear this. Could I just confirm, which make and model of router are you currently using?

Thanks

Scoobierb5
Wizz Kid

Hi 🙂

I'm using the HG635 "Super Router" which is generally pretty solid.  I will power it off again for 30 minutes a little later, but I need internet access at the moment.

I'll report back once that's done and let you know if it helps.  My guess is that this is still fallout from the fairly major lighting storm we had a few days ago.  I've seen this before where the Router reports the expected (well, a little low at 21mpbs) downstream, but said downstream is unobtainable in real use cases like Steam and general downloads as well as speed tests.

I'm hoping just another "rest" period with the router powered down for 30 minutes will sort it.  I should have done it over-night, but forgot.

So, don't worry for the moment (but thanks) and I'll let you know how I get on.

Scoob.

Scoobierb5
Wizz Kid

Update:

I powered the router off for a little over 30 minutes and the speed has recovered a little more once again.  Still not quite where it was, but ok.

I may power the router off again tonight if I remember.

Scoob.

Community Team

Hi Scoob,

Thanks for the update. The sync speed looks consistent. Just to confirm, what throughput speeds are you currently receiving at the moment?

Thanks

Scoobierb5
Wizz Kid

Hi,

Currently testing at about 18mbps for a (after 30 min power off) reported 22mbps Downstream.

When things are working well, the tested speed (via various different speed tests to be sure) usually reports much nearer the Router's reported Downstream speed.  So, there's still a bit of a discrepancy.

Downloads through Steam are also running a bit slower than I'd become accustomed to seeing, but I hope it'll recover.  Perhaps I'll do another 30 minute power off of the Router today at some point.

Note that the Super Router also reports a "Maximum Downstream" that is usually at least 2mbps higher than the Downstream.  This is supposed to be what the Router thinks the line can actually support, but I never get near that.

Scoob.

Community Team

Hi Scoob,

Would you like to try a replacement router for testing purposes to see how the speed compares?

Thanks

Scoobierb5
Wizz Kid

Hi,

Don't worry about it just yet, I'll see if the speed increases after some more 30 minutes power-downs of the Router.  It has gotten better, so I'm hopeful.

I've been told in the past that the Exchange end can often reduce speeds after multiple disconnection incidents - like during the storm - and then slowly increases.  I've seen the reported connection speed do this, but don't recall ever having the actual speed so much slower than the reported connection speed, like the other day with 8mbps actual 20mbps reported.  So that's a bit odd.  Still, it is getting better.

Scoob.

Community Team

Hi Scoob,

Ok, please let us know if you do need any assistance.

Thanks

Scoobierb5
Wizz Kid

Hi again,

So, I popped the Router off for about an hour or so last night, then turned it back on just before going to bed.  Did a speed test this morning and it's recovered a little more speed.

For whatever reason this appears to be the key.  It's not quite back where it was yet, but it's getting closer every day.

Note that my actual download speed is still below the reported downstream speed by a couple of mbps, it is getting closer each time I do this power down though.

Scoob.

Community Team

Hi Scoob,

Thanks for the update. This is unusual as usually rebooting the router too often can have the opposite effect. Would you like us to take another look for you?

Thanks

Scoobierb5
Wizz Kid

Hi,

Rebooted - aka Restart DSL - can have a detrimental effect if done too frequently, yes.  However, fully powering off the Router for 30 minutes or more - which is what I'm doing - can actually help resolve issues on the exchange side.  At least, this is what a BT Engineer informed me, and it does seem to be correct.

Let me keep an eye on it over the next few days and if it continues to improve then we're good.  If it fails to recover any further, then perhaps you can take another look?

Scoob.

Community Team

Hi Scoob,

Ok, please let us know how the speed compares on Monday 🙂

Thanks