Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Need new IP address

ANSWERED
12 REPLIES 12
Enlightened One

I am being blocked on a particular social media site - presunably due to my IP address being listed as banned

How do I renew it ?

I have tried IPCONFIG ./release ipconfig.renew

no change in ip address

I have tried rebooting the router - no change

Highlighted
Philosopher
Solution

Fibre IP addresses seem to be very sticky, unlike ADSL.

You may get a change if you leave your router off for more than 30 minutes, the traditional "new session" theory, but no guarantee.

If you really need to access the site, use a free VPN temporarily and see if you can access it that way.

Martin
Highlighted
Enlightened One

@martswain wrote:

Fibre IP addresses seem to be very sticky, unlike ADSL.

You may get a change if you leave your router off for more than 30 minutes, the traditional "new session" theory, but no guarantee.

If you really need to access the site, use a free VPN temporarily and see if you can access it that way.

Brilliant - that worked - I am now able to access the site

Highlighted
Enlightened One

Since I rebooted my router, yesterday and left my connection off for 1/2 hour - my connection speed has dropped dramatically- from 70+Mbps to 24Mbps and upload has also decreased from 19 to 8.35 Mbps !!

NOT GOOD !

Highlighted
First Timer

The old router allowed you to change the IP address in admin, but the new SG4K10001E00t is simplified.  There is no way you can clone Mac Address or get it to change the IP.

Please talk talk can you update it so the user has a greater say on routing for games consoles and Mac addresses.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Weevie,

Current sync speed is 79.9Mbps, does everything look OK at your end now?

Chris

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi starchild20189,

Sorry not sure what you mean, we're referring to the WAN IP address here which is automatically assigned and can't be manually changed

Chris

Highlighted
First Timer

My IP address is on a blacklist and Hotmail won't accept emails from me.   This happened a couple of years ago; I couldn't send any emails to tesco.net addresses. After a day of constantly powering down the router I got an IP address which wasn't blacklisted.  That was a long tedious process.

The current bounceback message is:

SMTP error from remote server for MAIL FROM command, host: eur.olc.protection.outlook.com (104.47.13.33) reason: 550 5.7.1 Unfortunately, messages from [IP address of my email server] weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list (S3140). You can also refer your provider to htt p://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. [HE1EUR04FT038.eop -eur04.prod.protection.outlook.com]

I powered down my router for about 90 minutes and got the same IP address allocated back to me.

I gather that this is a big issue with Talktalk. Their allocation of IP addresses is re-used over and over again and over time they will all become tainted and appear on blocklists. (They often get on blocklists because an address has been hacked and reported for spam, through no fault of the customer).

So how do I get a new, clean IP address without spending all day disconnecting, reconnecting and testing?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi clinxx, try leaving the router turned off overnight and see if that resolves the issue. 

Highlighted
First Timer
OK. I like solutions which involve no effort on my part. I'll report back tomorrow.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

If it helps, a factory reset of the router from here (not your end) via our firmware tool will usually force a new session when it reconnects, with a new IP Address.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
Enlightened One

Why not offer the "tool" to users ?

If you can implement it - we should be able to as well

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

This is our firmware management tool so not available to endusers.  The change of IP during a factory reset is something that often happens, but the system does not have a direct option to do this.

Basically it's a workaround  picked up on when updating firmware.

Thanks

Karl.