Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not reaching minmum guaranteed speed.

25 REPLIES 25
Frogmella
Participant

I am a new customer my service only started on 21st March.

I transferred to TT because I was promised  a guaranteed minmum fibre speed of 43mb. I get only 30mb.

I use a wired network and 30mb is the highest speed, obtained using a laptop plugged directly into my new modem, using the yellow tipped cable supplied by TT. Using a system farther away from the hub via homeplugs drops it slightly lower at around 29mb.

Wi-fi using a phone 2 feet away from the hub gives only 30mb too.

I have tried various different testing sites. I have tested each day but no change. 

Is there anything I must do improve this? I'm feeling like I've been suckered. This boosted fibre service appears no quicker than my standard Plusnet service.

KeithFrench
Community Star

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http😕/192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi Frogmella

Please can you update your Community profile to include your name, telephone number and alternative contact number, we can then look into this further (Please do not post this information on this thread)

Please bump this thread to confirm once your Community profile has been updated.

Thanks

Debbie

Frogmella
Participant

here it is:

xDSl
 StatusConnection TimeLink StatusStandardLine EncodingLink Encapsulation
Line 1
UP
3d 09h51m38s
UP
VDSL2 (G_993_2_ANNEX_ B)
DMT
ATM (G_992_3_ANNEX_ K_ATM)
  Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]
Line 1
DownstreamUpstream
Frogmella
Participant
 StatusConnection TimeLink StatusStandardLine EncodingLink Encapsulation
Line 1
UP
3d 09h51m38s
UP
VDSL2 (G_993_2_ANNEX_ B)
DMT
ATM (G_992_3_ANNEX_ K_ATM)
  Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]
Line 1
DownstreamUpstream
Frogmella
Participant

Profile Updated

Community Team

Hi Frogmella

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 32.8mb.

There are re connections on the line which can affect the sync speed. Are you rebooting the router?

Please can you leave the router connected at the test socket for 48hrs without rebooting. We can then check to see if DLM increases the speed in this set up.

Thanks

Debbie

Frogmella
Participant

I have not rebooted the router for five days. It is routinely left on 24/7

Community Team

Hi Frogmella,

OK thanks for confirming this, and is your router currently connected to your Test Socket

Chris

Frogmella
Participant

Yes, I simply removed the plug from the back of my OpenReach modem and plugged it into the back of my TT modem/Router. I did not disturb the end connected to the wall at all.

Community Team

Hi Frogmella,

Could you try connecting the router directly to the test socket bypassing the Openreach modem, and we'll see if there's any speed improvement 

Chris

Frogmella
Participant

If you read my previous reply you will see that is exactly what I have done.

Community Team

OK, thanks. Apologies, I didn't understand you're previous post but I do now. How long has the router been connected directly to the router (bypassing the BT modem)?

Chris

Frogmella
Participant

6 days, 24hours a day.

Community Team

OK thanks. I've raised this to our network team for further investigation so can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Thanks

Chris

Frogmella
Participant

Here's the bump as requested.

I just did a speed test 30.7Mb. No noticeable change since switchover day.

Community Team

Hi Frogmella

I've requested an update on this fault from our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Frogmella

The next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Frogmella
Participant

I cannot reply via the message service on this site as your message will not open and there are no scroll bars. However, I have been able to read your email version.

There are NO CIRCUMSTANCES where I am prepared to agree paying charges for you to fix the service you offered but have so far FAILED to provide. The conditions set against me are so onerous and provide far too many opportunities for faults to be "found" that I would be unable to verify and yet would result in a significant charge that would far outweigh the benefit I should have enjoyed by transferring my business to TalkTalk.

It would seem the best course of action would be to cancel my account with TalkTalk immediately and find another service provider. As this service has not yet been installed for two weeks and the service provided has NEVER matched your offer I presume this can be done without penalty, please confirm. I am, of course prepared to return your router/modem.

Please advise how we are to proceed as soon as possible.

Community Team

Hi Frogmella

Apologies for this.

We would need to confirm possible engineer charges before we can arrange an engineer visit.

If the fault is found to be with BT maintained equipment then no charges should be applied.

Thanks

Debbie