Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Packet losses when gaming

26 REPLIES 26
dskdan
Participant

Im getting 30-40% packet losses when gaming and doing speed checks..

Spent  most of today replacing cables, testing everything.. the losses a random, sometime all is fine then the 30-40% losses.. when my son starts a game with the losses it stays the whole game.. then if he starts a new one it could be all fine..

The problems started a few days ago with my own tplink router, so i changed it for the brand new talktalk one i had sent to me a few months ago and still have the same issue..

Just spent hour and a half talking to talktalk tech. For them to tell me my brand new router is faulty and they are sending me another new one..

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi dskdan,

Line test is passing, how has it been since your last post?

Are you experiencing performance issue when streaming?

How many telephone sockets do you have? Is your router currently connected to your test socket?

Chris

dskdan
Participant

Hi, I'm still getting the odd internet dropout but the main issue is packet losses when gaming or testing, both via wifi and ethernet.. I'm now running a cat7 cable from my gaming pc direct to the router.. already had a direct cat5e.. but the problem is driving me nuts and I'm trying all I can think of!!

I'm getting good speeds around 60 mbps but high jitter and 30% packet loss.. 

Doesn't affect browsing, but has a massive impact when gaming..

20190923_145133.jpg

Spoke to someone last night and they still saying it's my router.. but it did the same on my old one..

I've got a openreach NTE5C mk4 faceplate.. so all the phones in house are filtered.. only one cable to one phone anyway..

Pretty sure now it's an outside issue which needs sorting.. I'm thinking of going 4/5g on Vodafone if it cant be sorted!!..

Hope something can be done..

I appreciate anything you can do..

Cheers, Dan

OCE_Debbie

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket just to help rule out any possible issues with the face plate or internal wiring?

Thanks

Debbie

dskdan
Participant

Hi, yes just done it.. so I have just the router connected through a link filter..

20190923_165505.jpg

 this is the result through the cat7 ethernet direct to the router.. the previous one was 5ghz  wifi on my phone..

Thanks, Dan

OCE_Debbie

Hi Dan

Apologies for the delay.

How has the connection been since you connected the router at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

dskdan
Participant

Yes the last test was with the router plugged into the test socket..

This one is this morning.. it gets worse late afternoon, evening..

20190924_084033.jpg

The new router turns up today.. I dont think this will fix it.. I'm confident it's a outside line issue..

OCE_Debbie

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know once you have tested with the new router.

Debbie

dskdan
Participant

Ok router has been in for a bit now..

Still getting the same results..

Good speeds, but random packet loss.

Screenshot_20190924-141203_Speedtest.jpg

Also noticed in the router settings, its showing noise margins of 0.00db downstream and 3.00 upstream.. researching this says they aren't good.. but also a mention of these reading may be misread by the new router, which seems not be the latest firmware...

20190924_145442.jpg

 also used cmd to ping 3nd hop ip.

20190924_154214.jpg

 shows 23% packet loss..

Any ideas?

OCE_Michelle

Hi dskdan,

Thanks for testing with the replacement router. Just to confirm, are you currently testing this wired when you experience the packet loss? Could you post the pings and traces in the thread as plain text and we can pass this over to our Network Team to look into further.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

dskdan
Participant

Tracing route to google.com [216.58.213.110]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ttrouter [192.168.1.1]
2 6 ms 5 ms 5 ms ae50-ner002.thw.as13285.net [78.144.1.3]
3 6 ms * * ae50-scr102.thw.as13285.net [78.144.1.2]
4 5 ms * * 74.125.51.110
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 6 ms * 6 ms 108.170.232.98
7 5 ms 4 ms 4 ms 216.239.57.121
8 * 6 ms 5 ms lhr25s02-in-f14.1e100.net [216.58.213.110]

Trace complete.

Pinging google.com [216.58.213.110] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.213.110: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=55
Request timed out.
Reply from 216.58.213.110: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=55
Reply from 216.58.213.110: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 216.58.213.110:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 4ms

dskdan
Participant

yes testing via cat7 ethernet cable direct to the new router.

dskdan
Participant

Pinging google.com [216.58.205.46] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.205.46: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=55
Request timed out.
Reply from 216.58.205.46: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=55
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 216.58.205.46:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 6ms

OCE_Chris

Hi dskdan,

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service? Any noise on the line?

Chris

dskdan
Participant

Hi, we dont use our phone that much, but I've just checked and when you let the dial tone run out there is some slight hissing/noise..

OCE_Chris

OK thanks. Could you just check if you still hear the hissing noise with the router disconnected

Chris

dskdan
Participant

Hi,

doesn't make any difference, to be honest I thing it may be the natural background noise of my cordless phone.. the losses are not present all the time, so its hard to test properly.

I can run the ping test 10 times with no packet loss, then the next two maybe show the losses, then it will be fine.. this reflects his game play, some games will run fine, then next few will be high packet loss and he has to back out as its too jerky to play.. 

tried the ping google test on another laptop computer via WiFi and shows 25% packet loss as well, then it will be fine.

when my son tethers to his mobile he can run his games with no packet loss at all, but with slightly higher ping. so I'm contemplating getting a Three 4g router contract..  but I dont want to pay for 2 home broadband services!

dskdan
Participant

Just done a test on his xbox..

20190925_114118.jpg

 so its showing that no matter what hardware I use phone, pc laptop or xbox..  still getting packet loss.. tried 3x routers, unplugged telephone so just through the test socket direct to router using a cat7 ethernet, with no other devices connected though ethernet or wifi.. packet loss!..

What's next to try?.. I might climb up me pole outside and plug my router in there!!.

OCE_Chris

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the information. A fault ticket has already bean raised so I've asked our network team for an update. If you don't hear anything later today can you bump the thread again tomorrow 

Thanks

Chris

dskdan
Participant

Ok.. last night and this morning.. everything has been fine.. my obsessive testing for packet loss has shown none 0% since about 5pm yesterday..

Can you confirm something has been fixed or has It fixed itself.. meaning it could easily mess up again!!.  

Please let me know..

Cheers, Dan