Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow Broadband Speed Yet Again!

15 REPLIES 15
jwatson
Conversation Starter

My broadband has once again slowed down, seem to be going round in circles with this! A while back there were issues which were resolved (after a year), and I was getting 20mbps DL (which I can live with)! A few weeks ago it slowed down to 18mbps, and now today it's down to 16.5mbps! Yes I've done the usual things, tried another router, reset the router, left it in the test socket etc etc!

JW

Community Team

Hi jwatson,

I'm sorry to hear you speed has dropped

How long did you leave the router connected to the test socket? Is it still connected to the test socket at the moment?

Chris

jwatson
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris, it's back in the normal socket now, but was in the test socket 24 hours, both this router (Talk Talk Wifi Hub) and the DSL3782. The cable comes straight in to my front window where the main socket is, so there's no length on it, only one socket, only other thing plugged in is my landline telephone.

JW

Community Team

OK thanks, Is your master socket the type with a dedicated broadband socket and a dedicated phone socket?

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

jwatson
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris, yes it's got a dedicated socket for the phone and broadband, this was fitted last time an engineer came to the house. I can't hear any noise on the phone line, seems normal. Thanks.

JW

Community Team

And there's just the one telephone socket?

Is your router situated close to other electrical devices that could be causing interference?

is the router connected to a multi socket electrical extension lead shared with other devices?

Thanks

Chris

jwatson
Conversation Starter

Yeah there is just one telephone socket, and the router is plugged in to a double socket on the wall, my telephone is plugged in to the other socket. There are no electrical devices around the router area. It dropped from 18mbps to 16mbps overnight, I noticed the gateway had restarted 5 hours ago (that was at around 9am, so would have restarted about 4am). 

JW

Community Team

DLM changed your profile in the early hours of this morning which will be the cause of the speed drop and disconnection.

The line history is showing 6 reconnections yesterday, did you reboot the router at all yesterday?

Chris

jwatson
Conversation Starter

Yesterday when things were slowing down, I decided to try the old Dlink router, that was on to see if it was the router or not. I have the newer TalkTalk Wifi Router back on now as of this morning. I remember when this happened in the past with DLM, someone did a reset which sorted the issue (I think anyway!) 🙂 Thanks

JW

Community Team

OK thanks. Could you try leaving your router connected to your test socket for at least 48 hours and we'll see if DLM moves you back to a faster profile. Generally DLM needs at least 48 hours to respond to any improvement resulting in moving to test socket

Chris

jwatson
Conversation Starter

Thanks for your help Chris, yeah will leave it on the test socket.

JW

Community Team
jwatson
Conversation Starter

Hi, apologies, meant to message earlier, been away for a few days! I'm back up to 18mbps so must have shifted profiles by DLM.

On a different note, I am seeing about half a dozen entries on my router log that say's "WiFi security settings have been successfully saved" - when I am not even at home! This has happened about 3 times now, is this normal?

Thanks

JW

Community Team

Hi jwatson,

Yes DLM has moved you to a faster profile.

Are there any other entries in to logs relating to Wifi settings being changed?

Chris

jwatson
Conversation Starter

There were three sets of wifi being saved, I've since reset my router to factory and restored my settings, changed passwords etc... keeping an eye on it! Thanks.

JW

Community Team

OK,  Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Karl.