Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slower broadband speed with new wifi hub

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Team Player

So yesterday I just recieved the WiFi hub to replace the HG633 super router which was giving intermittent wifi connections to some mobiles in my house.

First thing I notice though is that my fibre broadband speed is way down - like 35/12 Mbps from 68/17 Mbps. So I read through a lot a messages about this but couldn't find a definitive solution. Yes it has improved a bit to 44/15 but that's still 35% slower and when I reconnect the HG633 I immediatly get back the original speeds.

Now I know I should give it some more time and I will but I'm not sure why; the serving exchange already knows the optimum characteristics for my fibre/wired line as proved when I reconnect the HG633.

Also the wifi hub is on old firmware SG4K10001400t and this could be upgraded but I don't see anyone claiming that this fixes or improves this issue.

Please help as I need to get this issue resolved quickly in case I need to cancel my renewed contract within the allowed 20 days - only 12 days left

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi JohnIrvine

Can I just check if you have powered down the Wifi Hub for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Yes, that was one of the 1st things I tried after reading some of the posts with similar issues.

Thanks,

John

Highlighted
Team Player

The speed test then was around 36Mbps but that has improved to 50Mbps now

Highlighted

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

I've updated your router firmware. Please can you run another speed test and let us know how the connection compares?

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for updating the firmware but it hasn't made much difference - 47 down and 19 up

Thanks,

John

Highlighted

Hi John

Was this a wired speed test? Could you try running a speed test on a different device?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Will do Debbie, but I'm unavailable for the next hour or two, will do it then and get back to you.

Thanks,

John

Highlighted

Hi John

Ok no problem, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

I'm happy to report that with a hardwired connection to my desktop pc the speed is back up to 73.6/19 and it's the same with a wifi connection to the desktop on 5Ghz band but only 54/19 on 2.4 . I still get 52/19 on wifi to my laptop whereas I can get 70/18 with wifi on laptop using the hg633 (2.4Ghz band - laptop can't do 5!)

So basically the line is OK and so is the wifi hub's line speed. Just that I've lost some speed on the 2.4Ghz band. Strange but I can live with that.

Thanks,

John

Highlighted

Hi John

Thanks for keeping us updated.

In regards to the loss of speed over wireless, have you tested different wireless channels? It would also be worth trying a factory reset using the pin hole reset.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

I reset the wifi hub with pin but it hasn't made any difference and there's no config option on my laptop's wifi adaptor to change the channel. I've played with a few settings and the best I got was 54Mbps which isn't bad.

As I say it's not an issue as I do most of my big downloads on the desktop PC.

Thanks for you assistance Debbie.

John

Highlighted

Hi John

Ok, please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Just thought that you might want to know how I resolved the 2.4Ghz wifi speed issue that I had;

I changed the 2.4Ghz channel bandwith from auto to 40Mhz in the wifi hub. Now I can get 73Mbps download which is the same as a wired or 5Ghz wifi connection 😀

Thanks,

John

Highlighted

Hi John

That's great, thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Debbie