FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.8mps upload speed causing lag for online working

Katiegreet
First Timer
Message 20 of 20

We are experiencing slow upload speed and would like to find out how to improve it. I am working from home delivering online training using gotowebinar and attendees often have considerable lag between my voice and the visuals which is getting untenable. Running a speed test we have over 10 download but only 0.8mps upload. One of the ports on the router no longer works so I wonder if it is possible to get a new router if that would help things.

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi Katie

Openreach don't guarantee upload sync speed, they only guarantee download sync speeds.

Please let us know once the replacement router has been connected for 48hrs and we can check the speed again.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Hi Michelle, I'm just wondering if you could tell me what speeds we should be expecting on our current contract please? I can't find the upload speed documented.

What back up do talktalk provide if we aren't getting up to those speeds. Do they provide a mobile dongle that 'tops up' to the speed we should be getting? Just thinking of next steps once we've tried the router.

Many thanks, 

Katie

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi Katiegreet,

I've ordered a router it should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Chris

Message 4 of 20

Thank you Michelle, yes that would be good to see if that helps. Thanks for testing it again. 

Message 5 of 20

Hi Katie,

I've re-checked and there is no improvement as yet. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

Hiya, yes I can leave it connected. 

I have 3 days of presenting using gotowebinar starting tomorrow so I was hoping to get to the bottom of it asap, I was told last week that it was buffering and lagging quite badly so I'm nervous for tomorrow! Is it possible to check it again tonight please, or does it have to be 24 hrs?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hello,

Thank you. I think we posted at the same time 🙂 Would it be possible to keep the router connected at the test socket and we can re-check the connection stats again tomorrow morning to see if DLM has made any changes to the sync speed?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 20

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. Do you have a microfilter that you can connect to the test socket behind the faceplate? The router and phone (if you use one) will then connect to the microfilter.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

OK, I've found a microfilter and that is in the test socket. I've plugged the asdl line into that so hopefully that is what you need 🙂

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

It's a NTE 5C MK 4 according to the link you sent through. If I take off the front plate it has one socket which looks like the telephone socket. Shall input the telephone line into that socket?

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 20

Hi Katie,

Thanks for confirming. If the socket is a NTE5c then this should have a test socket. Does it look like the below?

Your guide to main phone sockets

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Thank you for testing the line. Our master socket is a 5c and doesn't appear to have a test socket. Is there anything else I can try to get our upload speed better?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Hello,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Can I just confirm, does your main socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket please so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the sync speed? Is the voice service also clear of any noise?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi, I've just amended it- was one digit wrong! Sorry!

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 20

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. Just to confirm, is the telephone number in your Community Profile correct? Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 16 of 20

The speeds you are currently getting would be a good average for Fast Broadband, not for Fibre to the cabinet, @Katiegreet

Follow AllyM's advice: the service centre information can be very useful. 

It's not always 100% up to date, but it should give you a clear indication of minimum guaranteed speed, recent download average speed, and current download and upload speeds to the router and devices.

If you are working from home the speeds should be adequate for such services as you are using, similarly Skype or Zoom. I have done the same over the pandemic. 

The problem of lag is inherent with Zoom, Skype or whatever. It's a nightmare trying to give music lessons as the sound is out of sync with the video!

It's in the nature of these beasts, not actually a problem with Talktalk's speeds, so solving Talktalk's speeds may not solve the issue for you. 

However staff should be able to check for you why your Faster Fibre speeds are so poor and see if anything can be done. 

Best not to post further till staff pick this up, to keep your thread moving forward in the queue for attention. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

@Katiegreet , The speed you get will be dictated by how far away you are from the Fibre/PCP cabinets. 10/0.8 is quite slow and would indicate that you are a long, long way from the cabinet unless there is a fault.

Have you only just noticed this slow speed?

What speed were you getting before?

Do you know what predicted speed and minimum guarantee TalkTalk gave you for your service?

Was your speed test run wired or wireless?

Have you logged into the router and checked the sync speed?

Have you gone to the Service Centre via My Account and run a line/speed test?

Message 18 of 20

Thank you for your help, I've updated my profile as you recommended 🙂

Our package is called faster fibre. I believe it's fibre to the hub, then copper to our premises. Do you think on this basis we should be getting higher than 0.8mps?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 19 of 20

You'll need to complete your community forum profile details, @Katiegreet. Staff use these to identify your account. 

Please make sure you add your Talktalk landline number. You need to go via your avatar/name; settings; launch profile wizard. 

If you are on ordinary Fast Broadband it's not possible to get > 1Mbps upload. 

You'll be lucky if you actually get the 1Mbps. 

It's possibly a matter of upgrading to Fibre, if you're not already on it.

Please look out for a reply from TT staff, Monday to. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes