cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Difficulties so far

adamsg1992
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 22

Fairly new TalkTalk customer. Service went live on 25th April 2024. Fibre 150 package. Router is Sagemcom-FAST5464. Previously with BT in this house for the last 2 years. Had absolutely none of the issues we're facing now.

Issue 1: (Probably the most minor issue) - we're not hitting 150 mbps download and 30mbps upload speeds. Rather we're only getting around 120mbps download speeds and 23mbps upload speeds. Still quite good I know. Like I said, probably the most minor issue and probably not really an issue if not for the below;

Issue 2: Regular dropping. I cannot count how many times per day I am losing my connection to wi-fi on televisions and phones (although, ironically, this doesn't really seem to be happening on my MacBook). This happens across all floors of the house, including the floor where the router is actually situated. It's a significant problem;

Issue 3: Coverage. We live in a house with 3 floors. Previously our wi-fi had covered the whole house and garden without issue. We'd never needed an extender. That's not happening now unfortunately. No coverage in the garden whatsoever. Very spotty connection on the top floor. I have tried putting in wi-fi extenders but they've not really resolved the problem. I'm not the most tech savvy so the extender I have used may not necessarily have been appropriate in any event;

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Hi @adamsg1992 

Just to add, we can see in our data the majority of your devices are on the 2.4Ghz channel this usually indicates a coverage issue.

Would it be possible to the move the mac closer and run a speed test?

0 Likes

Message 2 of 22

Hi Adam

Have you connected the majority of your devices to 2.4ghz?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 22

Hi Adam

Thanks for your reply.

I've asked our Devices Team to take a look at this and I will post back as soon as I have further information.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

There's a hive that's wired. As far as I can tell that device has not been dropping out.

The router is downstairs in the hallway. It's elevated. It's in the exact same location that I had my previous BT router in for 2 years without issue.

I'm struggling to see why there'd now be interference when there hasn't been any for 2 years when we were with BT.

It's clearly not the router as we've tried 2 different TalkTalk routers.

There must be some issue with the line surely? I need this sorting asap as it's impacting on mine and my wife's work (putting aside how frustrating it is generally).

Thanks,

Adam

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

Hi Adam

Apologies, I can't connect to your router but the line is showing in sync now.

Would it be possible to try a wired device to see if this is also dropping out?

Where is the router located? Is it close to any other devices that could be causing interference?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 22

No it's not switched off?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 22

Hi Adam

Is your router currently switched off?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 22

Hi Chris,

The new router arrived yesterday.

We've still experienced drops today. TVs disconnecting and laptops disconnecting in the middle of MS Teams calls.

This is causing significant issues on a daily basis now. I'm not an expert and I can't diagnose what's wrong.

Gonna need some proper recourse here.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

OK, I'll order it now, it should be with you within a couple of working days

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

Hi Chris,

Yes thanks - that would be helpful. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Hi adamsg1992,

If the lights aren't changing on the modem or router then it could be a wifi connectivity issues and potentially a fault with the router. Would you like me to send another router to test with?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 22

Hi Chris. I did this yesterday. I still noticed drops last night - TV disconnecting on multiple occasions. I also noticed that, in fact, my MacBook is starting to drop as well - had a horrendous time yesterday on some video calls for work. This is becoming a problem which I never experienced with my previous provider and I really cannot understand it at all.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 22

OK thanks Adam, Could you switch the modem and router off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

adamsg1992
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 22

No changes to the lights on the modem.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Thanks, have you noticed if the lights change on the modem?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 22

I’ve checked the router when the connection drops and it doesn’t appear any different. No change in light colour. No flashing lights

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

OK, have you noticed if the light changes on the modem when the connection drops?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 22

Thanks Chris.

No devices connected by Ethernet cable.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

OK thanks. Line test is passing, router is in sync at 160Mbps. Do you have any devices connected by Ethernet cable? If you do, do they also lose connection?

Chris

0 Likes

adamsg1992
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 22

Thanks Chris - updated now

0 Likes