cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Ethernet cable speed test not wifi

Marvel
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 19 of 19

I can not find the talktalk speed test for wired connections as it only works for wifi. There used to be a wired connection but now I can not find it 

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19
0 Likes

Marvel
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 2 of 19

Thanks everyone for your help. Its now sorted, it was because I was signed in or at least partly signed in although I was not signed in to my account my phone number was still displayed on the test webpage so I went into the page cookie settings and clicked reject all and refreshed the page - my phone number was no longer displayed and the test ran ok via wired.   

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 19

@Michelle-TalkTalk, might it be worth @Marvel trying to run a test directly from the community linked page?

I am able to run the test WITHOUT being signed into My Account,  @Marvel.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Service-Status-Dashboard/bd-p/service

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 4 of 19

Hi,

The speed test tool should test both wired and wireless speeds. I'm wondering if it is maybe a typo on the help page so I've asked the team to confirm.

Thanks

Marvel
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 5 of 19

My wired devices are fine and run faster than wifi like they should. When I press the test button i see this

testtest

It then changes to this

speedspeed

I seem to be on a page that only tests over wifi. If you read the page of the link I posted it only talks about wifi.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 19

Hi,

I've just ran a wired speed test and it worked for me. When you click the test my speed button does the test then not run at all? Do your wired devices feel slower than your wireless devices or did you just want to compare the speeds?

Thanks

Marvel
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 7 of 19

Actually I see the page address says "new" at the start. I wonder if AllyM is using something different. Perhaps the New has gone totally wifi

0 Likes

Marvel
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 8 of 19

I can try a different port but not sure how that will change the talktalk website from saying 

Our speed test measures how quickly data is being sent and received over your Wi-Fi connection.

Here https://new.talktalk.co.uk/broadband/speed-test.

Have a read through its all about wifi. Am I on the wrong talktalk test page.

I have 4 devices connected via Ethernet but only 1 in use at the minute.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

Hi,

Have you tried connecting to a different ethernet port on the router? How many wired devices do you have? 

Thanks

Marvel
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 10 of 19

Here is what the talktalk speed test website says

testtest

It doesn't actually mention wired anywhere - only everything that can affect your wifi signal .

Yes it works ok on wifi.

Odd that AllyM has no issues using a wired connection but I have no option to run a wired test.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

Morning,

So just to confirm, if you run the same speed test when connected wireless it works fine?

Thanks

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 19

I've no idea why you're getting that, sorry. Like I said, I am testing using PC connected by ethernet and the speed test runs fine.

0 Likes

Marvel
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 13 of 19

Thanks, Is that with a wired connection because I get this (

No devices connected

There are no devices connected to your Wi-Fi network.

To see the speed to your devices please make sure they are turned on and connected to your Wi-Fi.)

speed testspeed test

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 19

I just log into MyAccount and click on the "run a speed test" box on the first page.

Link goes to here: TalkTalk - Service Status

0 Likes

Message 15 of 19

Thanks Karl

0 Likes

Marvel
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 16 of 19

That's right neither do I but I am sure it was just one test option that did both wired and wifi but now its only for wifi.

Where is the talktalk one you are using for a wired connection please.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 19

I don't remember there ever being a separate speed test for wired connections. Why would there be? The normal TalkTalk speed test still works fine for me via a wired connection.

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 18 of 19

Hi

I often use Sam Knows Speedtest  and find this as accurate as most others.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.