cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 65 signal issues

durdle
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 90 of 90

I've been on Fibre 65 for a couple of years now and, initially, it seemed reasonably stable. Then, I was given a Ring doorbell at the beginning of last year. This has worked as expected except that one or more of the doorbell, the battery cam or the chimes has tended to stop working from time to time and had to be reconnected to WiFi. It's been annoying, but not a massive problem because these devices seem to provide quite good instructions on how to recover from connectivity problems. 

My Epson ET-2850 printer, purchased around mid ’21, has been a different kettle of fish. It has dropped its connection too often for comfort, and required various efforts on my part to become reconnected, eg by powering it, my router, and/or just my WiFi connection off and then back on etc. 

Very recently, however, these issues have become more difficult to resolve in that the printer became unavailable for several consecutive days earlier this week, and I could not recover it using any of my old strategies. Two days ago, I took it to the print shop that originally sold it to me, and they kindly configured it for their shop network, where it appeared to work with no problems. When I took it home, I attempted to reset it for my home network, but this appeared to fail with error (E-9), the subsequent printer generated report being as shown below. 

Later that evening, I noticed that the device was again showing its connected-to-WiFi symbol and found that I could print files again. 

The printer is still working this morning, well over 24 hours later, though it did go offline late last night for a while. While I'm happy for now, I'm not over confident that I won't have similar problems again before too long. 

Apart from my printer and doorbell problems, the other main issue with my WiFi has been that, all too often, I have attempted a Google search but have seen a black ‘no internet connection’ display for a few seconds before the requested information has then appeared. Also, sometimes, I have seen an equally black ‘download pending’ screen that has not delivered the goods, although a repeate attempt sometimes has done. 

These issues have often lead me to suspect my WiFi signal strength. I can't access the same information on my Samsung A9 tablet, but my Samsung A71 phone suggests it's of the order of 110 dBm 30 asu, not that I have any real understanding of what these figures imply. 

The Ring doorbell and accessories have device health displays in the Ring app, all of which seem to suggest signal strengths varying from around 45 and 70 ssi. If I look online, sometimes I see that higher ssi values indicate weaker signals, sometimes I see its the lower ones. As I say, I suspect I'm suffering from a poor signal, even though at least half my devices, including my printer just now, are only a few metres away from my router. 

I apologise for the length of this post, but can anyone offer any thoughts here, please? 

Check Network Connection

Check Result                                                      Unknown

Error code                                                           (E-9)

Confirm the connection and network setup of the PC or other device.

Connection using the EpsonNet Setup  is available.

Contact your network administrator for assistance.

If your problems persist,

see your documentation for help and networking tips.

Checked Items

Wireless Network Name (SSID)                          Pass

Communication Mode Check                              Pass

Security Mode Check                                          Pass

Mac Address Filtering Check                              Pass

Security Key/Password Check                            Pass

IP Address Check                                               Pass

Detailed IP Setup Check                                     Unknown

Network Status

Printer Name                                                      EPSON0xxxxx

Printer Model                                                      ET-2850 Series

IP Address                                                         169.xxx.y.zzz

Default Gateway Network Name (SSID)            abcde

Security                                                              WPA2-PSK (AES)

Signal Strength                                                  Excellent

MAC Address                                                     E0:BB:9E:01:XX:YY

johno
0 Likes
89 REPLIES 89

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 81 of 90

This will depend on how far you live from your fibre cabinet & the quality of the cables to your house. If you have a guaranteed minimum speed of 36M, then that will be about the best you can ever expect, unless you upgrade to full fibre.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

durdle
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 82 of 90

No,  I just seemed to see quite a few reviewers suggesting their Sagecom routers had failed under a year old. I'll wait till I get one and then see what happens. Assuming it will help my issues above, the only other point I would make about life with my Huawei router is that my broadband speeds are a little disappointing. When I say I have Fibre 65, I mean I had a contract that expired last year, but my account details still acknowledge the service and I'm paying the normal monthly rates. The Fibre 65 spec offers a 67Mb average download, but I don't remember ever seeing a TalkTalk speed test result over 42, which isn't much above the guaranteed minimum speed of just over 36. Presumably nothing will change here with a Sagemcom.

johno
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 83 of 90

There were some problems with older firmware, but most of those have been fixed. Are you referring to a specific problem? I use one all the time and apart from the Amazon eero, which is only available on certain full fibre packages, the Sagemcom is the router that TalkTalk supplies.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

durdle
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 84 of 90

I can't say a quick Google search for Sagemcom FAST 5364 reviews has filled me with an enormous amount of confidence. Do Talktalk offer a better preconfigured router? For how much, and would I be better off with one? 

johno
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 85 of 90

No problem. Here is why:-

1. It had stability issues with the initial firmware V1.05
  2. This was fixed with V1.06.
  3. No more firmware development was ever done.
  4. A serious problem (not disclosed to me) was subsequently found in V1.06 & all DG8041s have automatically been returned to V1.05
  5. The router has been discontinued.
  6. TalkTalk's policy (not mine) is to replace any of these with a different make of router.

The current replacement is the Sagemcom FAST 5364, which despite being launched before the Huawei is still getting new firmware updates (the latest is due to be released within the next month). It has the same specifications as the DG8041W (other than a different manufacturer of the WiFi chipset).

The Sagemcom can be combined with another product to turn it into a mesh network if required.

Yes, it is a free replacement.

I have already requested that TalkTalk offer this to you.

Keith

durdle
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 86 of 90

I have to ask myself whether I've been suffering unneccesarily, but I'm grateful to you for picking up on this. I would, however, appreciate a little background information. Can you at least tell me why my router must be changed and what benefits I should expect from a new (free?) one. 

johno
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 87 of 90

In that case, it must be changed out, it is no longer suitable for use. TalkTalk will replace this for you, I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and arrange this for you. Only if your problems persist, will I send out my guide.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

Keith

0 Likes

durdle
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 88 of 90

Hi @KeithFrench 

My router has no identification markings but, according to the label on the box it came in, it's a Huawei DG8041W-2.T5/AV1/C1. I seem to remember it being sold as a TalkTalk Black Box.

Yes, please send me a copy of your guide. 

Regards

johno
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 89 of 90

Hi @durdle 

This is most likely down to WiFi interference. Which make/model of router do you have?

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes