FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed drops to near zero overnight

LittleReggie1
Team Player
Message 16 of 16

Hi,

Apologies for this long-winded post, but...

Almost every morning first thing (e.g. 6.30am) when I start to use the internet, I find that the speed has dropped to sub 1 Mbps. If I check the router (DG8041W) it may have re-synced in the early hours (but not always), but regardless always seems to be synced around its maximum attainable 29 Mbps. If I reboot the router or even just restart the DSL, the download speed immediately returns to around 27-28 Mbps and is fine for the rest of the day. This cycle repeats almost daily now, but has actually been going on for 6 months or more in some form.

If I try my previous TalkTalk router (can't check the model just now) the behaviour is different. It syncs at a lower speed, the sync speed tends to drop daily, and eventually seems to settle around 17-18 Mbps, giving me 15 Mbps download speed if I'm lucky (but it's more stable). I haven't left this router connected long term to see if anything changes after this.

While this has been going on, I've had an apparent line fault repaired and later run an automated TalkTalk test which advised me to test my own setup. I have an Openreach master socket with the pre-filtered FTTC faceplate. I tried the test socket to no effect when this problem first occurred months ago, but not since the line fault was repaired. I don't have a landline phone connected at all now.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks.

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

LittleReggie1
Team Player
Message 2 of 16

Hello,

I didn't consciously wait 30 minutes, but it would almost certainly have been longer than this when I installed the new router. When re-installing the DG8041W router I was much quicker, but this has already synced at a far higher rate and the advanced settings imply a far higher maximum sync speed for my line (30+Mbps as opposed to 21Mbps with the Sagemcom). I think this can only be down to the design of the router.

It's good to know that I can return either router.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Hi

you can return the new router.  When swapping over the router, did you power down for 30 minutes to start a new session.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

LittleReggie1
Team Player
Message 4 of 16

Hi,

A quick update. First impressions of the new router are that it works ok, but sync rate and actual download speed are significantly lower. Now stability is important, but we are talking 20Mbps as opposed to 28Mbps with the DG8041W. That's quite a difference on a relatively slow connection.

I have been given a date by which to return the old router or pay a forfeit. I have re-installed the DG8041W for the time being, so if this proves to be the better option can I return the new router instead?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Hi LittleReggie1

Ok no problem, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

A power cut spoiled things yesterday.

I will install the new router today and, yes, it would be helpful if I could hang on to the old router for a little while.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Hi LittleReggie1

Would you like to monitor the connection for a little while longer before returning the router? (just incase you do experience any issues)

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Hi Debbie,

I have a dilemma now. I have not swapped the routers yet, but this problem seems to have mysteriously fixed itself, as I haven't had a drop in speed, DSL re-sync or online re-connection for about 5 days now?

I'm reluctant to disturb anything at the moment as the internet is used for homeworking, so is there an option to just buy the new router?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi LittleReggie1

Thanks for your reply. How are you getting on?

Please can you keep the new router and return the old router using the pre paid returns bag.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

New router arrived today (Saturday). A job for tomorrow hopefully. What's the deal with the new router - do I get to keep it and return the old one?

Ironically, I have not had the usual problem the last two mornings.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi LittleReggie1

Sorry for the delay.

Have you received the router since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

In the meantime, and in case the new router doesn't solve the problem:

Same scenario this morning. At 5.20am everything was running at a crawl. I did a few speed tests and it was showing 2-3 Mbps. I checked the router settings and, interestingly, on the dashboard it was reporting an "online" time of 1 hour 40 minutes, but further into the settings it was reporting a DSL "sync" time of 20+ hours (when I last manually resynced). Another manual DSL resync got everything back to normal speed again.

So does this imply that it is the PPPoE session reconnecting when the speed drops? Is there a PPPoE session with this type of connection? If not, what is the difference between synced and online, and why would the online connection drop in the early hours?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Hi LittleReggie1

No problem 🙂

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 16

Hi Debbie,

Yes, that would be great, thanks!

Regards.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 16

Hi LittleReggie1

The line test has not detected any faults and the line is in sync at 29.4mb.

Would you like me to send a Sagemcom WIFI hub for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes