FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently need to reboot Sagem Fast 5364

Mike-TT-customer
Popular Poster
Message 20 of 20

Several times a week, WiFi drops out and I have to reboot the router to get it back. Wired connections are ok. The router previously had a problem where the 5ghz stopped working altogether despite reboots. This was fixed on these forums by the suggestion of a factory reset. However that did not fix the problem of regular WiFi drop outs which are very frustrating when streaming TV shows etc!

I have followed advice about checking for WiFi interference etc but that doesn't fix the problem.

I'd be happy to buy my own router (ASUS AX88U looks good) and an openreach modern but before I do is there anything Talk Talk can do e.g. replace the supplied router?

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi Mike

Would you like me to send another Huawei WIFI hub for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Yes; I returned the old Sagemcom one. Internet speeds were unbelievable this morning, < 1Mbit/s download reported by Ookla speedtest and even streaming audio was unbearable.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 20

Hi Mike

Are you still using the Huawei WIFI hub?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

That Netgear EX2700 is a WiFi repeater, not an extender & is of a very old specification by today's standards.

The problem with a repeater is that they connect back to the router via the router's own WiFi. The repeater sends the new copy of the wifi signal out in all directions, including back to the router. If using the same WiFi channel, this can often cause the repeater's WiFi to cancel out the router's WiFi, breaking the link between them & it can also impact the router's WiFi signal as well even if the link stays up. The reception from the router is often better (but obviously not good enough in your case) if you turn the repeater off & forget it.

A far better solution is a true WiFi extender, where they connect, often over powerline technology over your house's electrical wiring to a LAN port on the router.

Anyway, for the time being, let's get the router sorted, I've passed this over for the TalkTalk OCEs to deal on their return on Monday.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Thanks Keith. Your assumptions are correct. There is an extender Netgesr EX2700 two floors up from the router.

The wired test was definitely not impacted by updates etc. It is is on a gigabit Ethernet laptop with cat6 cable.

I will try to change the WiFi channels as suggested but I think the problem had shifted to a router fault or other error now.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

In that case yes there are two faults. With the wired connection is this a device capable of Gigabit ethernet, if so, are you using a Cat6 cable? Are there any other things going on like updates in the background on it? Alternatively, it could be a router fault.

I assume your SSID is the Lucy one & if so you have an extender on there as well, what make/model of extender is it? Both it and the router are on channel 3, which can be a disaster. You should only ever use channels 1, 6 or 11 in the 2.4Ghz band, as they are the only "non-overlapping" channels. Move one to channel 6 & the other to channel 11.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

I've sent the screenshots to Keith. However I did note that despite the router saying it's connected at 45 Mbit/s download a speedtest is only giving about 20 even with a wired connection! Perhaps there are two problems here...

0 Likes

Message 8 of 20

No worries.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Hi Keith, thanks for responding. The new router is a Huawei one that looks the same as the old Sagemcom one.

I will aim to PM you with the WiFi Analyzer screenshots tonight.

thanks!

-Mike

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

Hi @Mike-TT-customer 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with your WiFi dropouts. There is mention in the thread about being sent a different router, which make/model are you currently using? If it is the Sagemcom, have you had "WiFi Optimisation disabled" on it?

In your opening post you say you have checked for WiFi interference, please can you provide me with a fresh set of screenshots from the WiFi analyser that you used, so as I can check them for you. Not knowing which one you used, I will need to see these views:-

1. AP List
  2. 2.4Ghz channels
  3. 5Ghz channels
  4. Signal strength/time graph (when it has been running for 5 minutes)

I will need to know what your SSID is called.

Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots (no photos please) & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Hello,

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any additional wireless advice?

Thanks

Message 12 of 20

I have split the SSIDs. As before, unlike the old one the new router no longer needs regular rebooting but the 2.4Ghz network frequently drops briefly. Speed test on my phone can report very low speeds on that but the 5Ghz band gives good speeds. WiFi Analyzer shows a strong signal on 2.4 (-51db) and other networks are on different channels. Don't know what else to try, apart from a different router or a whole new ISP.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Hi Mike

Thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Yes please can you return your old router using the returns bag.

Have you tried splitting the SSID's? Split your router's SSID (wireless network name)

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi @Mike-TT-customer big yes to returning the old router, and 20 devices shouldn't be a problem. Why not try splitting the ssid Split your router's SSID (wireless network name)?

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.

Message 15 of 20

The new router has been better and has been going a week without rebooting. However we are still seeing WiFi drop outs on various devices. Even in the same room sometimes my phone web browser stops working with as DNS probe error. I wonder if the router is up to the task of having 20+ devices connected (5 phones, various tablets, laptops, TVs, Chromecasts etc).

By the way do I need to return the old router in the prepaid bag?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hi Mike

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I have ordered you a different make and model of router for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 17 of 20
Hi, I've updated my profile now. Thanks!

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 20

Hi Mike,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• TalkTalk Telephone number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 19 of 20

Hi @Mike-TT-customer if you have to connect TV by wireless it might be that a powerline adapter could help as well.

Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear soon but please remember that the staff here work office hours.

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.