FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure router to block ALL Internet access on a single device at a specific time of day

KrystalineD
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 6

On many brands of router there are options within the firewall settings to configure a total block of ALL internet services to ANY single or multiple connected devices at specific times. 

I'm 96% certain that there was a feature available for this on the talktalk router at some point (possibly the previous model before changing to the SAGEMCOM FAST5364)

I just need to block 100% internet access in both directions to one specific wired device between 3am and 6am. Such a simple time restriction rule should be really easy to configure in the router firewall rules. (As an IT tech, I've done it on other routers in the past). 

All other household devices need to maintain active internet at this time, so i can't just "turn the router off".

I know that TT are currently developing and testing a "Smart Home Protect" service, which is accessed via an app and connects to an enabled router. The problem is that they've been "trialing" it for about a year now, with no sign of an upcoming release date and NO access to an activation code to be able to use the app at this time. 

After being a loyal and happy TT customer for over a decade with relatively few problems, i now find myself with 2 major issues. 

1) i can't implement a fairly simple firewall rule to create a time block for a single device

2) I can't order the UFO service even though Openreach assure me that it is now available to my house with FULL FTTP and it's been available for about a month from a handful of ISPs (including TalkTalk as far as openreach is concerned) 

I don't work for TalkTalk, I'm just a customer.

Update your community profile with your account & contact info so TT team members can help you.
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Thanks @KeithFrench at least you've tried, even if they don't/ won't listen. 

Another feature that I've needed is the ability to throttle bandwidth to certain devices, although the necessity for such a facility has become less of an issue since getting FTTC and will be unnecessary when i eventually get FTTP if i ever get a response from TT about availability. 

Update your community profile with your account & contact info so TT team members can help you.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Hi @KrystalineD 

Well, that is certainly one way to do it!

I have suggested to TalkTalk that they should have time-based MAC address filtering, whilst the developers do tend to listen to me, I have not been able to persuade them to introduce the facility.

Sorry about that.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 6

@KrystalineD  UFO FTTP is NOT provided by Openreach, it is a TT standalone product only available in specific geographical areas (York)

The TT FTTP offering over the Openreach network is FUTURE FIBRE, so that is what you need to order if and when TT make it available in your area.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Thanks @KeithFrench 

That's a pity, it would be such a useful feature, although i presume TT work on the principle that the majority of home users wouldn't know how or need to use it so they don't include that level of configurable functionality. Just like the earlier routers wouldn't allow for IP address reservation for network devices. 

I've now found a work around solution to my problem using a spare 4 port hub that i had in a cupboard. I've connected the specific wired computer to the hub and connected the hub to the router, the hub is powered via a "smart plug" and I've created a routine to switch the plug off at the required time of day, effectively "unplugging" the network cable to the one PC (also locked the hub and smart plug in a desk drawer so nobody can just press the button to turn it back on lol).

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Alas, no current TalkTalk router supports this. There is talk of enhancing HomeSafe to do this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?