cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Internet connection disconnecting and intermittent crackling on phone

johnny95
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 116 of 116

Hi,

My internet connection has been disconnecting for serval months. Recently it has got worse. I also have intermittent crackling on the phone. I was using the black Huawei hub and then the Sagemcom WiFi hub 2.

However they both were rebooting automatically. So I then tried a different setup with a router and modem. I used the BT Huawei Echolife HG612 provided by Talktalk a while ago, and a Eero Pro 6 router. The DSL on the modem did the same and kept dropping. I'm now using a Draytek Vigor 166 modem with the Eero Pro 6. Unfortunately this modem also dropped DSL. So it's fair to say it's the internet connection where the problem is.

I have now connected my modem to the test socket on the master socket. It's been connected for just over a week. As far as I know it hasn't dropped so far. I'm thinking it may be the faceplate on the socket that could be the problem? However I'm not 100% sure. It could be a line or exchange issue? I had an issue with the exchange over 10 years ago, where the filters needed replacing. Maybe it's the same issue, I'm not sure. 

As there has been so many disconnections my speed has dropped from 58Mbps to 44Mbps. I'm guessing the DLM has slowed it down? 

Please can you help,

Cheers,

John

0 Likes
115 REPLIES 115

Message 41 of 116

Hi John,

I can't see any indication at our end, that there have been any disconnections so far this month. There are no reauthentication showing in the authentication logs and the line history is showing no unavailable seconds for every hour for the last 4 days (error count is also very low). Did the light change on the router when the connection appeared to drop?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 42 of 116

Hi Chris,

Since posting yesterday I’ve had 2 disconnections. Yesterday about 2pm and one just now that I know of. However it looks like my profile is unchanged, as I’m still getting 45Mpbs download.

So the same problem seems to be back. Openreach “fixed” a fault at the cabinet on 18/07/24 as I had disconnections. It looks like the same issue? Can an engineer look into this please?

Cheers,

John.

0 Likes

Message 43 of 116
0 Likes

Message 44 of 116

Just after my last post it looks like my connection was lost on the modem. The DSL light was flashing and I briefly lost my internet. It came straight back on and my speed looks to be the same. I think it could be a reoccurrence of the the same problem at the cabinet?

0 Likes

Message 45 of 116

Ok, that's fine. Cheers. 

0 Likes

Message 46 of 116

OK thanks. Do you want to give it a couple of days and we'll check in again with you on Thursday?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 47 of 116

Openreach has recently fixed a fault at the cabinet. It was connected to the test socket before that. So now the faceplate is back on. I haven’t had any disconnections since. 

0 Likes

Message 48 of 116

Hi johnny95,

Is your telephone and router currently connected to the test socket? Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Chris

0 Likes

Message 49 of 116

Hi Michelle,

Not that I’ve noticed. 

0 Likes

Message 50 of 116

Morning John,

Thank you for the update. I've checked your connection stats now and one of the line tests has detected a potential voice fault. Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 51 of 116

Hi Chris,

I've had a stable connection for 4 weeks. I'm still getting 45Mbps download. So the DLM hasn't increased my profile yet. Is it just a case of waiting longer? 

Cheers,

John.

0 Likes

Message 52 of 116

OK thanks. Yes, if the connection remains stable with a low error count DLM should move you to a faster profile

Chris

Message 53 of 116

They were. I don’t think the faceplate is an issue though as before the fault was fixed at the cabinet there were many disconnections in the test socket. I’ll give it a few more days to see how the connection is. If it stays stable will the DLM increase speed?

0 Likes

Message 54 of 116

Where they all connected before you replaced the faceplate?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 55 of 116

I have the telephone, modem and sky connected.

0 Likes

Message 56 of 116

DLM monitors your connection and it adjusts the profile in response to the number of error and/or disconnections in a given amount of time. Just disconnecting the router while you reconnect the master socket faceplate won't cause the profile to change on it's own. Do you just have the router and telephone currently connected?

Chris

Message 57 of 116

Why did it do that? Maybe it’s because I had to reconnect on Saturday to put the faceplate back on? The speed was still around 50Mbps though when I did reconnect for 2 days. I only have one socket. 

0 Likes

Message 58 of 116

Hi John,

Dlm changed your profile in the early hours of this morning, current sync speed is 46.9Mbps. How many telephone socket do you have in your home?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 59 of 116

Hi Debbie,

On Saturday morning I put the faceplate back on and gave it 30 mins for reconnecting. My speed was pretty much the same around 49Mbps download. It worked fine all day Saturday and Sunday.

However this morning I did several speed tests and was only getting 45Mbps download. I've also done an Eero speed test on the app which is the speed I'm getting from the cabinet which is also measuring 45Mbps. (It's the same on multiple devices) So it seems to have dropped over night. Can you see if it did from your end?

Thanks,

John.

0 Likes

Message 60 of 116

Hi @johnny95 

How's the connection been since your last post?

0 Likes