cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Internet connection disconnecting and intermittent crackling on phone

johnny95
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 107 of 107

Hi,

My internet connection has been disconnecting for serval months. Recently it has got worse. I also have intermittent crackling on the phone. I was using the black Huawei hub and then the Sagemcom WiFi hub 2.

However they both were rebooting automatically. So I then tried a different setup with a router and modem. I used the BT Huawei Echolife HG612 provided by Talktalk a while ago, and a Eero Pro 6 router. The DSL on the modem did the same and kept dropping. I'm now using a Draytek Vigor 166 modem with the Eero Pro 6. Unfortunately this modem also dropped DSL. So it's fair to say it's the internet connection where the problem is.

I have now connected my modem to the test socket on the master socket. It's been connected for just over a week. As far as I know it hasn't dropped so far. I'm thinking it may be the faceplate on the socket that could be the problem? However I'm not 100% sure. It could be a line or exchange issue? I had an issue with the exchange over 10 years ago, where the filters needed replacing. Maybe it's the same issue, I'm not sure. 

As there has been so many disconnections my speed has dropped from 58Mbps to 44Mbps. I'm guessing the DLM has slowed it down? 

Please can you help,

Cheers,

John

0 Likes
106 REPLIES 106

Message 61 of 107

Hi Karl,

Thanks for replying. I haven’t seen any improvements in speed. It’s staying at around 43-44 Mbps download. It’s been 8 days now since the fault was resolved. I’m still connected to the test socket and will give it another week to see if the speed improves.

As far as I know the connection has stayed stable. Although my speed was 44Mbps download up until Thursday morning, it seems just under that now. Do you know if the connection has stayed stable from your end?

Cheers,

John.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 62 of 107

Hi

The current DLM profile is set to 80mb.  Estimated speeds for the line are 47-52mb and the line is in sync at 47mb.

Have you seen any improvement ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 64 of 107

You can do as I’ll leave it connected to at least then.

Message 65 of 107

Thanks John.

Would you rather me check in again next Friday to see how the connection/speed has been?

Message 66 of 107

Ok cheers, Debbie.

Thanks for the info regarding the cabinet.

I’ll leave it connected to the test socket, probably for another week or so just to keep it stable. My speed is still 44Mbps downloaded so hopefully it increases. 

Cheers,

John.

Message 67 of 107

Hi John

The notes advise that work was completed outside at the cabinet.

DLM should start to increase the speed again if the connection remains stable.  Please can you leave the router at the test socket over the weekend just while DLM is monitoring the connection. I will check the connection stats/speed again on Monday.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 68 of 107

Hi Debbie,

Thanks, it’s working fine at the moment. Do you know what the problem was?

My speed has gone up to 44Mbps download but that’s still at least 10Mbps slower than I was getting before any problems. Will my speed increase over the coming days or does the DLM need to be reset? 

Also I’m still connected to the test socket, should I give it a few days or so before connecting back through the faceplate?

Thanks again,

John.

0 Likes

Message 69 of 107

Hi @johnny95 

Openreach have now closed the fault as resolved.

Is everything working ok at the moment?

0 Likes

Message 70 of 107

Hi @johnny95 

The fault has been assigned to the Openreach line engineer this morning. We should hopefully have further updates later this afternoon.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 71 of 107
0 Likes

Message 72 of 107

That’s great. Thanks, Debbie.

Message 73 of 107

Hi @johnny95 

No problem 🙂

If they find the fault externally and don't need access then they will just fix this fault.

If they do need access then they will let us know and we can then book the appointed visit. for you.

Message 74 of 107

Ok thanks, Debbie. There could be a problem at the cabinet, but I guess they will check that as well. Thanks for keeping me up to date.

Message 75 of 107

Hi @johnny95 

Thanks for your reply.

I've passed this over to Openreach and they have advised that they will investigate on the line (externally) first.

I will continue to monitor for updates and I will post back on this thread.

Thanks again.

Debbie

Message 76 of 107

Yes please.

Message 77 of 107
0 Likes

Message 78 of 107

Hi Debbie. PM would be great.

Message 79 of 107

Hi @johnny95 

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line test is detecting a potential fault and Openreach are asking for us to arrange an engineer visit to the property.

Please can you provide your availability for this visit AM and PM?

Can you also confirm potential Engineer charges

0 Likes

Message 80 of 107

An update. I’ve been connected to the test socket for three weeks. Unfortunately there have been a few disconnections that I know of. I think it must have disconnected over night a few times as well. As this morning my speed has dropped even further.

It’s steady getting slower. This morning my download speed test was down to 37Mbps, which is below the guaranteed speed of 42Mbps. I rebooted my modem and router this morning to see if it would improve but it’s staying at 37Mbps.( I was getting 58Mbps download approx 3 months ago) 

Several years ago, the filters at the cabinet were changed. It may be the same issue now or maybe a line or other issue? I’m using a brand new modem and router so it’s not the equipment.  Please could you book an engineer as this problem has been on and off for a couple of years now but recently has got a lot worse. My speed is dropping every 3 days or so now.

0 Likes