cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Internet connection disconnecting and intermittent crackling on phone

johnny95
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 114 of 114

Hi,

My internet connection has been disconnecting for serval months. Recently it has got worse. I also have intermittent crackling on the phone. I was using the black Huawei hub and then the Sagemcom WiFi hub 2.

However they both were rebooting automatically. So I then tried a different setup with a router and modem. I used the BT Huawei Echolife HG612 provided by Talktalk a while ago, and a Eero Pro 6 router. The DSL on the modem did the same and kept dropping. I'm now using a Draytek Vigor 166 modem with the Eero Pro 6. Unfortunately this modem also dropped DSL. So it's fair to say it's the internet connection where the problem is.

I have now connected my modem to the test socket on the master socket. It's been connected for just over a week. As far as I know it hasn't dropped so far. I'm thinking it may be the faceplate on the socket that could be the problem? However I'm not 100% sure. It could be a line or exchange issue? I had an issue with the exchange over 10 years ago, where the filters needed replacing. Maybe it's the same issue, I'm not sure. 

As there has been so many disconnections my speed has dropped from 58Mbps to 44Mbps. I'm guessing the DLM has slowed it down? 

Please can you help,

Cheers,

John

0 Likes
113 REPLIES 113

Message 81 of 114

Ok thanks, Debbie. There could be a problem at the cabinet, but I guess they will check that as well. Thanks for keeping me up to date.

Message 82 of 114

Hi @johnny95 

Thanks for your reply.

I've passed this over to Openreach and they have advised that they will investigate on the line (externally) first.

I will continue to monitor for updates and I will post back on this thread.

Thanks again.

Debbie

Message 83 of 114

Yes please.

Message 84 of 114
0 Likes

Message 85 of 114

Hi Debbie. PM would be great.

Message 86 of 114

Hi @johnny95 

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line test is detecting a potential fault and Openreach are asking for us to arrange an engineer visit to the property.

Please can you provide your availability for this visit AM and PM?

Can you also confirm potential Engineer charges

0 Likes

Message 87 of 114

An update. I’ve been connected to the test socket for three weeks. Unfortunately there have been a few disconnections that I know of. I think it must have disconnected over night a few times as well. As this morning my speed has dropped even further.

It’s steady getting slower. This morning my download speed test was down to 37Mbps, which is below the guaranteed speed of 42Mbps. I rebooted my modem and router this morning to see if it would improve but it’s staying at 37Mbps.( I was getting 58Mbps download approx 3 months ago) 

Several years ago, the filters at the cabinet were changed. It may be the same issue now or maybe a line or other issue? I’m using a brand new modem and router so it’s not the equipment.  Please could you book an engineer as this problem has been on and off for a couple of years now but recently has got a lot worse. My speed is dropping every 3 days or so now.

0 Likes

Message 88 of 114

Message 89 of 114

Ok, cheers.

0 Likes

Message 90 of 114

You can purchase another one, BT doesn't have to install it

Chris

0 Likes

Message 91 of 114

Ok. Thanks. If it is the faceplate is it a case of purchasing another one or does BT have to install it?

0 Likes

Message 92 of 114

I would leave the router connected to the test socket for the time being to confirm that it's definitely OK, if it is then probably worth just testing the face plate back on again to see if it starts dropping again. (extension wiring is connected to the faceplate but if you have no extension sockets  then there won't be any wiring to check)

Chris

0 Likes

Message 93 of 114

Thanks, Chris. So what happens next? Do I keep the connection in the test socket for a couple of weeks or so to see how the connection is? 

Then does an engineer need to fit a new one or look at the wiring etc?

Cheers again,

John.

0 Likes

Message 94 of 114

OK thanks. Yes, if it seems to be OK connected to the test socket but not when the faceplate is connected then it looks like a problem with the faceplate.

DLM will usually increase the speed within 48 hours from noticing an improvement

Chris

0 Likes

Message 95 of 114

Hi Chris,

I only have the one socket. As I mentioned I have had the connection through the test socket for 8 days and haven’t had any disconnects. It’s back in the test socket now and seems fine. So I’m thinking it’s the faceplate. I was using a faceplate that had two sockets, one for the phone and one for the DSL. So the microfilter wasn’t the problem as I didn’t use one. On a different note how long does it take the DLM to up my speed again? 

0 Likes

Message 96 of 114

Hi Johnny,

Yes it worth testing with the telephone disconnected. Is the master socket the only telephone socket in your home or do you have one or more extension sockets?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 97 of 114

Also do you think it’s worth testing the line without the phone connected, just my router and modem?

0 Likes

Message 98 of 114

Should I try a new faceplate? If I can purchase one?

0 Likes

Message 99 of 114

Yes as I mentioned in my first post I’ve used the black Huawei hub and then the Sagemcom WiFi hub 2 from you and they both disconnected. So that’s why I’m using my current setup. I think it could be the faceplate as it hasn’t disconnected since I’ve been in the test socket. Is it possible to send an engineer?

0 Likes

Message 100 of 114

It’s not the router either as I’ve tried 4 different routers.

0 Likes