cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Low Fibre Speeds

chris12341
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 26

Hi!

I have recently started having trouble with my broadband speeds. My guaranteed download speed is 33mbps. Until recently I have been receiving anything between 40-42mbps. However, I have been having trouble for the last few days. Speed tests this evening have shown widely fluctuating results. For example, a speed test taken at 8.32pm showed a download speed of 0.8mbps, but one taken at 8.40pm showed a download speed of 41.6mbps! At 8.48 it was back down to 15.1mbps.  The last test (at 8.58pm) showed 27.7mbps. 

Can anyone help please? I have tried turning off the router, but it made no difference. I did wonder if the age of the router made any difference. I have had the one I am currently using for some time. I believe that it is an old one - a Huawei HG633.

Any assistance anyone can give will be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Chris

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 1 of 26

Morning Chris,

I'm sorry to hear this. Would it be possible to try the Sagemcom router again? 

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

chris12341
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 26

Hi,

Further to my previous message this evening, I have now carried out some speed tests using the Huawei router. Over a 12 minute period, several tests have shown different results, ranging from a low download speed of 30.6mbps right up to a high of 42.2mbps. 

Chris

0 Likes

chris12341
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 26

Hi Debbie,

The Huawei router is having intermittent problems connecting. As I type it is OK, but I can't guarantee that it will stay like that all evening.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 26

Hi chris12341

Thanks for your reply.

Is the connection still working ok with the Huawei router connected?

0 Likes

chris12341
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 26

Hi Michelle,

I  have been having problems when streaming programs.

BBC iPlayer, Now, Discovery+ and Amazon Prime have all shown a blurry picture. In fact, the picture was so unwatchable that I had to revert to the Huawei router last night. The old router seems to be working OK again at the moment.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 26

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update. Have you also seen performance issues when watching TV?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

chris12341
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 26

Hi Michelle,

Speed tests taken this afternoon show a download speed of between 39-40mbps, and upload 4mbps.

Although I haven't carried out any tests between Monday evening and this afternoon, it would appear that the new router is providing consistent results, albeit a little slower than the old Huawei router.

The only thing which worries me slightly is that when I check with 'my devices' in my account it shows that the TV 'sometimes struggles to connect to Wi-Fi'.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 26

Hi Chris,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 9 of 26

Morning Chris,

Thanks for the update. Yes please and we'll check back in with you at the end of the week to check that everything has been ok for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

chris12341
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 26

Hi Debbie,

I didn't get the chance to perform any speed tests over the weekend, but have done so this evening.

The download speed with the new router seems to have steadied itself to about 38mbps, and the upload speed is roughly 3.8mbps.

The connection to the TV also appears to be stable this evening.

I would like to carry on with the speed tests for the rest of the week so that I can monitor the situation.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 26

Morning @chris12341 

How's the connection been over the weekend?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 26

Hi Chris

Thank you.

I will check in again with you on Monday.

Debbie

0 Likes

chris12341
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 26

Hi Debbie,

I have re-connected the new router, then powered it down for over an hour.

I tried some more speed tests this evening , over a period of 20 minutes. The best result showed a download speed of 33.45mbps, the lowest was 27.38mbps. These tests were carried out using Ookla.

Streaming via the TV is stable - at the moment. However, when I first connected the new router I had no problems at first, but started having difficulties after a few days.

I will continue to monitor the situation over the weekend, and let you know how I get on.

Chris

Message 14 of 26

Hi Chris

Apologies for this.

Have you tried connecting the new router and then powering it down for a full 30 minutes so it will start a new session?

0 Likes

chris12341
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 26

Hi Michelle,

This evening I have reverted to using the Huawei HG633 router.

Since installing the new router, I have been having trouble connecting the internet to the TV.

The router is upstairs, next to the desktop computer. The connection to the desktop is fine.

But the connection to the TV (which is downstairs) is intermittent at best. Watching TV via streaming is impossible. However, the connection to my Roku streambar (which is situated next to the TV) is fine. Both connections are via wi-fi. I am unable to connect via ethernet cable as the router is upstairs and the TV and Roku device are both downstairs.

I have re-installed the old Huawei router and all devices are working correctly again.

To my mind, the new router is inferior to the old Huawei router, as all connection speeds to my devices are lower, and in the case of the TV it is non-existent!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 26

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the update. Speeds can vary slightly between different routers. We'll check back in with you at the end of the week to see how you're getting on.

Michelle

0 Likes

chris12341
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 26

Hi Debbie,

I have carried out further speed tests over the weekend, using both the old and new router.

The Huawei HG633 seems to be working fine again, and shows higher speeds (both download and upload) than the new router. There is a difference in download speed of 2-3mbps (between 41-42 with the Huawei compared to 38-39 with the new router). This is confirmed by checking the speed history in the 'My Account' section, which shows a slight reduction in speed since the new router was installed on Friday.

I have completed more speed tests this evening, using only the new router, which show a download speed of 39mbps. This is still higher than the speed guaranteed by TalkTalk.

I will leave the new router connected, and continue to monitor the speed over the next few days.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 26

Morning Chris

Thanks for your reply.

Please let me know if the speed is still low.

0 Likes

chris12341
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 26

Hi Debbie,

The router arrived today.

For comparison, I have run speed tests on both routers. 

The old router (Huawei HG633) showed a download speed of 41.5mbps, and an upload speed of 4.7

The new router is not performing quite as well, although it is still meeting the guaranteed download speed (33mbps). The new router shows 38.6 download and 3.9 upload.

I will continue to monitor (using the new router), and will update you on Monday evening (hopefully!).

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 26

HI @chris12341 

Have you received the delivery notification for the new router?

0 Likes