FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Sync Speed

LittleReggie1
Team Player
Message 30 of 30

Hi.

I have noticed a gradual drop in sync speed over the last month or so, from my usual (around 20Mb) down to less than 10Mb at this time. I reported this over the phone a few days ago and after some diagnostics by the agent I was sent a new router. My new router has apparently synced at 9.76Mb, according to the dashboard.

My question is, do I need to leave things alone for a while and hope the speed improves by itself, or is something else wrong?

Many thanks.

0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29

Message 1 of 30

Thanks, will do!

Message 2 of 30

@LittleReggie1, I would start a new thread in the billing section, outlining what you said in your last post and including the link to this whole thread for reference. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 3 of 30

Well, I have experienced a further issue. Not with the connection - that is fine, but I was rather shocked to receive a large phone bill this month with a charge for an engineer visit. The engineer turned up on the wrong day, couldn't gain entry to the house and left. Whatever was causing the slow sync speed, it was nothing to do with the equipment in my house (everything is back as it was) and I assumed something had been done at the cabinet or exchange.

Is there any way to challenge this through the forum, or is a phone call in order?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 30

Hi LittleReggie1

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 30

Just a quick update.

After several weeks of fast, stable connection through the test socket and micro-filter, I have re-connected the faceplate today. It looks like the line has synced at the same speed, so let's see if it holds up over the next few weeks.

Thanks.

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 30

Hi LittleReggie1,

Thanks for trying this and I'm glad to hear that the speed has improved. If the speed does drop again after you replace the faceplate then this would suggest a possible issue with the faceplate or any internal wiring connected to the line. Please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks

Message 7 of 30

Hey Michelle,

I think we might have a result! I did what you suggested and I am now getting download speeds (25Mbps) that I haven't seen since I first upgraded to fibre aeons ago. If this stays anywhere near 20Mbps in the long term then it will be an improvement on the sub-20Mbps speeds that I've been used to.

I'd be interested to know if an Openreach engineer actually did anything. Engineer 1 didn't gain entry to the house - could he have done something at the exchange? I had no visit from Engineer 2 on the rescheduled appointment day. The phone line is crystal clear now - I thought it was ok before but the barely audible hum has now gone.

I suppose at some point I should put the faceplate back on the master socket, but I'm tempted to leave it with the micro-filter in the test socket tbh.

Many thanks.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 30

Hi LittleReggie1,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which is clear. Is there any improvement in speed if you switch the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retest the speed again?

Thanks

Message 9 of 30

Well, this has all gone a bit weird!

I rang up to rearrange the engineer visit as I wasn't going to be in on the original day. This was all ok apparently. Then the engineer turned up anyway, but I wasn't there so he had to be turned away (happens a lot, he said).

In the early hours of the morning before the rescheduled appointment I get an email from TalkTalk saying that an engineer has visited and resolved the problem, and they are now monitoring it. No engineer visits on the day. However, when I check the next day the DSL sync speed has gone up to 26Mb, but unfortunately the download speed is still under 10Mb.

Not sure what to do now...

0 Likes

Message 10 of 30

Hi LittleReggie,

Thanks for the PM. I've booked the earliest appointment available - August 21 2020, AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

Message 11 of 30

Hi Chris,

I accept potential engineer charges.

I should be available any day of the week, am or pm.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 30

I can't think of anything else that you'll need to do before we arrange the engineer visit 

if you'd like us to go ahead with the visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris

Message 13 of 30

Hi Chris,

Yes please, if you could. Is there anything else I need to do to ensure it isn't a chargeable visit?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 30

Hi LittleReggie1,

Thanks for trying that. We can arrange an engineer visit to investigate the slow sync speed, if you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 30

Hi,

Right then, with a good corded handset (in the test socket or micro-filter) there is a very slight hum on the line, but no crackling. It isn't noticeable over the dial tone or when someone is speaking, only when it's quiet. To be honest, I'd be surprised if that could have such an effect on the internet connection, but I'm no expert.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 16 of 30

Hi LittleReggie1,

Ok thanks for confirming and please let us know how you get on. Noise can affect the speed so if this is still present then we'll raise this to Openreach first.

Thanks

Message 17 of 30

Hi,

I think I will try another corded handset first, as the noise on the line using the cordless handset is barely detectable.

Thanks.

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 30

Hi LittleReggie1,

If the noise is present on both phones then we can pass to Openreach for investigation or would you prefer to test the different handset first?

Thanks

Message 19 of 30

Hi,

With the cordless phone, there is a very slight hum and crackle on the line. I probably wouldn't have noticed this if I wasn't listening for it, though.

However, I have plugged a spare corded phone in and the noise is horrendous. I've tried both phones directly in the test socket (no micro-filter) and it's the same. Now I'm not sure if the corded phone is faulty anyway, as it's of unknown origin. I can only confirm this by trying another phone which I can borrow from work tomorrow. Or, do you think this is already enough to prove a line fault?

The router will be showing another disconnection after these tests.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 20 of 30

Hi LittleReggie1,

Thanks for confirming. The line test is now detecting a possible voice fault. Do you have no dial tone or any noise on the line?

Thanks