cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Speed test who is telling the truth?

Jer999
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

If I do a speed test using Talk Talk I get I get the speed expected, occasionally, 77mbs down load with or without my VPN connected and using ethernet, so all good.

If I use Ookla or any other speed test I get 30mbs down load, with or without a VPN connected.

Clearly they both can't be right so who is telling the truth?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

OK thanks, please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 4

Hi @Karl-TalkTalk 

Thanks for the reply and I agree with all that you say.  I am in my first 10 days of fibre so I shall continue to monitor it.  Sam is having an off day as he is stuck on a latency test 😉  Oddly when using broadband I could actually get a better speed from the USA than the UK.  That's tinterweb for you...

PREVIEW

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 4

Hi

Speed tests are a little like weather reports and can vary.

Each speed test site can be affected by network traffic, the location of the server you are using for the test etc, so it's always good practice not to put your faith in a single test, but use a few to get an average.  It's also a good idea to try and use a speed test that has a server close to you. so for example, if your in the north of England and you choose a London based server this could give a slightly lower result than say a Manchester based server.  I've also seen someone using a US based speed test and getting really low results.

The TalkTalk speed test will give a relatively accurate result as it is on the same network as your connection, but I've also found Sam Knows Speedtest  to be a good alternative as well.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes