FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Fibre Broadband

Charity17
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 5

We were recently sent a new router by TalkTalk. Having installed it we were then advised that they would be upgrading our service to fibre which would see improvements in download speeds etc.

We then had contact from openreach stating that they would need to visit the property to check if our connection would be possible.  The engineer came and advised that our old master socket, in the hallway, was out of date and we would need a new one.  As this was their responsibility there would be no charge and he proceeded to drill a small hole and fit the new socket.  Having checked our router and telephone worked he left and we have had no issues with performance.  It was only some time later when we lifted the receiver of one of our telephones  on an extension in a bedroom that we realised that these sockets no longer work. We currently use cordless telephones for main use, however, it is always advised that at least one telephone is plugged directly into the service in case of power failure.  The question we are asking is, can these sockets (or a least one of them) be reinstated to the current system? Any adviced would be appreciated.

Regards

C

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi Charity17,

If you need any further assistance just let us know 

Chris

0 Likes

Charity17
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 5

Thanks for the responses. Sorry to be late replying but have been investigating local engineers and think we have found ex BT/Openreach staff.  We will probably go down that route as they are in the local area.  We only need one extension to be working (probably in a bedroom) so that we do not interfere with the master socket.  Once again thanks for your input.

Regards

C

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 3 of 5

Hi @Charity17,

It is perfectly possible for the extension sockets to be connected just like they were previously, your service being moved from ADSL to Fibre does not have any impact on that. It is pretty poor for the Openreach engineer to have disconnected the extensions without telling you. Openreach will recommend just having a single master socket and no extensions, as this will guarantee the best quality of signal for your router, however it is perfectly possible for the extensions to still be connected if you really wanted them working, they can be set up so that only the voice service goes to the extensions (i.e. your router would only work in the master socket, and not in the extension sockets), this helps reduce the risk of the extension sockets causing interference that could affect your broadband.

If you wanted to get an engineer out again to resolve this then the staff here may be able to help with that. Openreach are technically only responsible for the line as far as your master socket (i.e. they are not responsible for extension sockets), but the staff here might be able to suggest the best engineer to get called out to resolve this.

Divsec
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi @Charity17 the master socket will accept a conventional phone. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.