cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Work laptop connects to wifi but no internet

rlcraig
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 30 of 30

Hi,

A few months back I started having an issue on my work laptop (Windows) when I worked from home. It would connect to my wifi but show as having no internet connection. My IT team tried all sorts, rebuilding the laptop, overriding the IP address preferences etc but had no luck. In the end they gave me a brand new laptop which seemed to work fine until last week when the same issue began happening again.

Since the issue reoccurred my IT team tried a full rebuild of my laptop which seemed to work temporarily as I could connect to the internet via wifi in the evenings this week. However this morning I tried working remotely and there was no connection again.

They have tried uninstalling security software/VPNs to see if that was causing the issue but that didn’t help either. They have also flushed the DNS servers to no avail. They are now about to suggest that I get another new machine and see if the issue persists, but I am worried that it will look fine but then begin playing up in a few months time.

The strangest thing is that my wifi works fine on all other devices. My partner also works from home (on a Mac) and has no internet issues whatsoever using our wifi. My IT team are running out of ideas and don’t seem to know the root cause.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29

Message 1 of 30

Morning,

Thanks for the update.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 30

Hi,

My company provided me with a new laptop, this time apple rather than windows, and I don’t seem to have had any problems since!

Thanks for your help

0 Likes

Message 3 of 30
0 Likes

Message 4 of 30

Hi,

Not yet, unfortunately I’m still waiting for my company to sort a new machine. In the meantime I’m working via Ethernet connection. 

Will keep you posted once I have a new laptop.

Message 5 of 30

Hi Ryan

Did you manage to test with a different laptop?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 30

Hi Ryan

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 30

Hi,

I still have issues using my work laptop with my wifi. I don’t have issues with connecting/streaming on other devices. My company are going to try and give me a new laptop to see if that resolves the issue. 

thanks,

Ryan

0 Likes

Message 8 of 30
0 Likes

Message 9 of 30

Hi rlcraig

Thanks for your reply. I've checked and your router does have the latest version of firmware that should work ok with VPN.

If you are using the connection (not VPN related) do you experience any issues with streaming or browsing etc?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 30

Yes it is, I’m not there though. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 30

Hi rlcraig

Thanks for your reply.

Is the new router connected and switched on at the moment? I can check the firmware version.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 30

Hi Debbie,

Not sure about the VPN element but it always connects to my wifi network however most of the time it will not connect to the internet. My laptop does have a VPN on it which my work IT team tried investigating to see if it was blocking my connection. Had the same issue with and without the VPN installed.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 30

Hi rlcraig

Just to confirm, you are able to connect to VPN sometimes and sometimes it doesn't work? (with the new router)

0 Likes

Message 14 of 30

Hi Debbie,

Yes I got the new router set up. Initially my laptop connected to the internet when I tested quickly on Thursday evening, however I tried working remotely on Friday morning and had the same issue as before. I tried connecting again this morning and I was able to connect despite it saying no internet connection. I can’t test further today as I am heading into the office but very confused as to why it works sometimes but not others 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 30

Hi rlcraig

Have you received the replacement router?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 30

Morning,

Just checking back in to see how you're getting on?

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 17 of 30

Good morning rlcraig

I hope you had a lovely holiday 🙂

I've ordered the replacement router, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 30

Hi rlcraig

I will post back on Monday 24th to confirm once the router has been ordered.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 30

Hi

No Problem 🙂 

One of the Team can process this Monday for you.

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 30

That sounds great, thanks