cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Full fibre - download speed now saying 5 months!

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 56 of 56

The Wi-Fi connection is barely making it to 1mb when downloading even though the plan states that there is supposed to be around 152mb instead, the previous plan was able to reach 4mb even though the Wi-Fi plan was worse

The main issue is that download speeds are significantly lower than advertised and we would like to know if there are any ways to solve the issue or if there is anything stopping the Wi-Fi from reaching the speeds it is supposed to reach

0 Likes
55 REPLIES 55

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 56

Was the laptop still connected to the router's WiFi at this point?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 56

Did this again with router switched off. Photos attached to see if Iam doing anything wrong. Still can’t do test 

IMG_1816.jpegIMG_1818.jpegIMG_1817.jpeg
0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 56

Hi Keith. 
I took my lap top downstairs. I unplugged the cable that was connected to WAN on the router and plugged this into my laptop . The cable was connected to the ONT.

i tried the test and the attached error message appeared

IMG_1814.jpeg
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 56

This is only supposed to be a temporary test, there will be no WiFi when the router is disconnected to allow your laptop to connect via Ethernet directly to the ONT in place of the router. However, it will not stop devices from trying to connect to the router's WiFi.

I am not sure if you are doing this correctly, or if there is a problem with the ONT/Full Fibre network. Clearly, if you are using the Ethernet connection for these speed tests, you couldn't do one upstairs, if the ONT is downstairs. If the WiFi connection from the laptop is not disconnected and the router is left turned on during these tests, your speed test could be trying to route over the disconnected WiFi.

Please could you clarify what you have done, or retest?

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 56

Hi Keith,

thanks for this.  There is no Wi-Fiwhen  laptop is connected to the ONT in place of the router and cannot connect to server. I did however, check speed upstairs ( lower speed) and did another beside router. Photo attached for reference 

IMG_1815.jpegIMG_1813.jpegIMG_1814.jpeg
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 56

Just use the standard TalkTalk speed test site:-

https://www.supportal-test.co.uk/ 

Then, just click the "GO" icon.

Keith

0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 56

Hi Keith,

thanks for this. Forgive my lack of knowledge , but can you give me the steps to complete this speed test via the laptop 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 56

Hi @Bruno2006 

If you want help with any WiFi issues, you only have to ask me.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 29 of 56

I can see that Keith has answered your question, hopefully it will help narrow down where the issue is.

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 56

Just do a speed test when the laptop is connected to the ONT in place of the router.

Keith

0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 56

Hi Chris. 
I have a laptop and can do this at lunchtime. How do I know what the speeds are via the laptop 

0 Likes

Message 32 of 56

OK thanks. Do you have a laptop or any other portable device that you could connect directly to the ONT with an Ethernet cable?

Chris

0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 56

Hi Michelle I am unable to comment on what the speed would be if PC was connected directly to ONT as I don’t have an Ethernet cable that would be long enough to go upstairs 

0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 56

Hi Michelle 

I took some photos of my daughter trying to upload her game(attached) .after city fibre upgrade. She had been excited to get the upgrade as she was looking to get her games uploaded quicker .

in addition, connection to devices via Wi-Fi  gets lost more often now 

698ccae8-1686-4f8f-9589-2acf65ca9f6f.jpegfe51c4c6-e374-44e0-8ee2-3ff93de9c42d.jpege4c0aa8f-2f37-4e81-86ce-9b5d8d8a547a.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 35 of 56

Hello,

This does seem low. What speeds do you get if you connect a wired device directly at the ONT with the router removed? This would confirm if the speeds are ok coming into the property and we can offer more assistance on the wireless connection if the wired speeds are ok.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 56

Hi Michelle. 
without TP link extender. Very low. With extender 15 mbs

I am having issues this morning working from home on my laptop. I kept losing connection 

IMG_1811.jpegIMG_1810.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 37 of 56

Morning,

Can I just confirm, what speeds are you currently seeing now please?

Michelle

0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 38 of 56

Hi Chris. 
by two bars, I mean the signal (photo attached) . Before city fibre installation I was getting a constant 4/5 bars on laptop and mobile. Now it’s two bars .I work mostly from home and my daughter does a lot of gaming. 
I have now connected an Ethernet cable to the Wi-Fi extender I got  to her PC, this now gives a better connection. 
I can’t believe I have had to do this when the whole point was to get an upgrade. Is there anything else you can do your side. Your help would be appreciated. 

IMG_1805.pngIMG_1795.jpegIMG_1806.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 39 of 56

OK thanks. When you say you are currently sitting at 2 bars what do you mean exactly?

Chris

0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 40 of 56

Hi Chris 

I have taken it out and put back in but it does look crooked. 
I have now changed this to another Ethernet cable just inside this was the problem ( photo attached) 

nor made any difference. I am currently sitting at two bars. 

IMG_1801.jpegIMG_1802.jpeg
0 Likes