cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Slow broadband and poor wifi

jimmymumu
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

Hi. My internet speeds have become unstable. At times I'm getting as low as 26mbps at others it goes to 51mbps. I ran the test through my account and it shows no connection problems but it seems to be up and down a lot. As for my wifi, it seems a bit intermittent too, losing connection with my Google Home and struggling to use my smart TV. Could someone check my connection please?
Thank you

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Thanks @Anonymous 

@jimmymumu  Keith will send you a Private Message.

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 13

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

jimmymumu
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 13

Yes please. I'll message you my email. Thank you

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 13

@jimmymumu 

Do you want me to send you my guide?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 5 of 13

Hi jimmymumu

The WIFI optimisation has now been switched off.

@KeithFrench 

Thanks

Message 6 of 13

Yes, please. I've no idea what it is, but if it settles my wifi down, I'd be more than happy. If it makes it worse would I be able to ask for it to be switched back on?
Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 13

When Wi-Fi Optimisation is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Message 8 of 13

Good morning,

Would you like us to switch the wifi optimisation off to see how your wireless connection compares?

Thanks

Michelle

jimmymumu
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 13

My Router is the Sagemcom WiFi HUB and the light remains white and my Wired speed seems to have settled around 50mbps but WiFi is still hit and miss
Thank you

0 Likes

jimmymumu
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 13

Hi. My PC is wired straight to the socket and mostly comes in at 50mbps but it has been dropping down to the mid-20s on occasion.
Besides my PC which is hardwired, my other items, TV, Alexa and Google Home are all wireless and running on the 5ghz band. The symptoms I'm getting are either slower speed or disconnections. My tv struggles to play YouTube at times and my Alexa struggles to connect
There has been no change in the home environment; it normally runs at less speed than my PC, but not by much. There are no solid walls in the house and nothing electrical has changed.
My PC speeds seem to have settled a little.
Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 13

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent at the moment. Can I just confirm, is your TV connected wirelessly? If you run a wired speed test what speeds are you currently seeing please?

Thanks

Michelle