cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Slowing WiFi on HUB2, requiring frequent resets

rgbargey
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 25

I was upgraded to Full Fibre 65 last month and received a Hub2 to use with my landline. It's a Sagemcom FAST 5464-2T4 running SG4K100174 firmware. Ethernet outputs deliver a rock steady 75mb/s down and 19mb/s up, but WiFi speeds on all my devices are much slower, typically 20-30mb/s down on both wireless n 5GHz and wireless ac connections. Resetting the router raises my wireless speeds back to 70+ mb/s for a day or two, but then wireless speeds drop down again and the router needs to be reset again to restore performance. On Ookla speed tests the wireless speed starts initially at 70+, but very rapidly drops off as if a buffer is filling up in the router or the router can't maintain the throughput. This didn't happen with my previous Sagemcom Hub which gave a very steady 65mb/s on ethernet and WiFi with all my devices & hub in exactly the same locations. I am thinking the router is faulty or there is a bug in the firmware. Any thoughts?

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 25

Hi @rgbargey 

If the new router does not resolve this, then the issue is probably Wi-Fi interference.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5464 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 22 of 25

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

rgbargey
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 25

Very many thanks. I'll swap routers and report the outcome after a few days of monitoring.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 24 of 25

Hi

I'll get a replacement Hub out to you and see if this helps.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes