cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

4k box buffers when using iPlayer catchup

Martinfdifa
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

When watching catch up eg iPlayer, using the 4k box, it is constantly buffering every few minutes.

I have switched off and rebooted everything, TV, 4k box, router but no difference. I have tried switching from Ethernet to Wi-fi but no difference.

However, if I use the catchup facility through the smart TV Wi-fi, the programmes play with no buffering whatsoever. 
This would seem to suggest that the 4k box is the route cause of the buffering.

Can anyone offer any solution, other than a faulty 4k box?

9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi

That does sound like progress, and thanks for the feeback regarding Iplayer.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Martinfdifa
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 2 of 10

Hi Karl,

Since replacing the router, the playback is much improved. The ‘circle of doom’ hasn’t appeared but on iPlayer, it does ‘skip’ every few minutes, which is annoying but I can live with it.

One point is that on BBC, if the programme has started and I use the option to re-start the programme, then it does still buffer every few seconds. Easily remedied, simply by waiting for the programme to end, but I thought that you ought to know.

As I say, the situation is very much improved and once again, thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Martin

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Martinfdifa
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 4 of 10

Hi Karl,

Thank you for your usual brilliant service. Naturally, I shall let you know how I get on with the problem once the new router is installed.

Kind regards

Martin

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

Hi

The router is on the way to you.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Martinfdifa
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 6 of 10

Hi Karl,

I’m happy to change the router but, as I said, there doesn’t seem to be an issue when viewing directly on the smart tv using wi-fi. However, if you think it is worth trying, I’m prepared to take your advice.

Kind regards

Martin

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

Hi Martin,

All tests are clear, no errors showing on the line, and the sync speed of the router is at 39mb.

I think we should swap out the router to rule this out as a possible bottleneck.

That ok ?

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Martinfdifa
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 8 of 10

Hi Karl,

It seems to be all catch up (both via Ethernet and wi-fi) when played through the 4k box.

I initially thought that it was intermittent broadband, but when I play them through the smart tv, using even wi-fi, there is no buffering.

Kind regards

Martin

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 10

Hi

Do any of the other players on the box buffer over wifi or is it limited to Iplayer ?

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes