cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Dial up days

mrjones2022
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 15

"If you've already tested with 2 different routers, microfilters and cables directly at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property."

I personally quoted that from another topic because it's what I've done.   Our line running to the house was loosened some point last year also lodged between some branches for a while and I believe it may have been damaged because of all that but it is still running at a much lesser capacity.  I believe it's an adsl2+ line.  We only use ethernet cable plugged to the laptop here because we're old and simply don't require wi-fi running all the time.  I know, might seem weird, but to his their own or whatever that saying is.

If you arrange an open reach engineer I will not be here on the 26th or 27th January so any other day next week is good.  If it has to be week after I'll only be here 2nd or 3rd Feb.

Thanks.

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi,

No problem. If the speed keeps dropping and it appears to be weather related then please let us know as we can arrange an engineer visit for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

mrjones2022
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 15

It's all good now again Michelle.   Thank you for the help.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've optimised the connection now and the sync speed has increased. Is there any noise on the voice service?

Thanks

mrjones2022
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 15

Our old pal the scary strong wind gave the line more than a few shakes and it's reduced speed again.

Doesn't appear to be loose.

I'm hoping what you did last time will get it back.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

mrjones2022
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 15

I know hence the drats and whinge.  Ugh, it's de-ja-vu almost to the year.

I guess I'll be back when I need to be back then.

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

Hi

If the line itself is damaged, then your phone provider would need to look at this.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

mrjones2022
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 15

Drats.

Sorry if this sounds cheeky but are you capable of running a line test? Debbie apparently did back when.

I have got a feeling it's probably faulty though so maybe don't bother.  Looks like the line probably got battered about too much.

It was my initial thought but wanted to check here anyway.

Neighb got a tree that sprouted a bunch of clones this year.  What a guy.  I can't see from where I am if it's as bad as before because the leaves haven't fallen off yet and they are blocking a clear view.  It could very well be loosened like before.  I know those open reach guys get funny about the trees.  It's gonna need a 20foot step ladder to clear that and who's got one of those in their shed.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Hi

I've optimised the line but the speeds are still low.  Check the home phone line, is this clear of any noise or crackles etc.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

mrjones2022
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 15

The Sunday night strong wind and storm gave the line a battering and it's reduced back to dial up speeds again.

I'm hoping what you did last time will get it back. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Hi mrjones2022

If the speed does drop again then please post back on this thread and we can take another look.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

mrjones2022
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 12 of 15

Thanks Debbie.

Whatever you did, it's back to what it previously was.

I must confess though we've had a strange problem for forever where it'll max out at just under 1mb/s but we've just put up with it.

Running a speed test it gives a speed of 8mb/s that we never see.  Never been able to figure it out.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 15

Hi mrjones2022

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've ran a line test which hasn't detected any faults - Line test is clear.

I have also completed a line optimisation and the sync speed has increased to just under 10mb.

What speed were you previously receiving before the speed started to drop?

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 15

The support team may need to check some personal details with you and you will have to agree to potential charges:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Engineer-charges/ta-p/2207291