Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency spikes

Sn1004
First Timer
Message 7 of 7

Hi,

For the past 4 weeks or so I've been experiencing consistent spikes of high latency on my connection.

The spikes tend occur every 3-6 minutes but this varies. They tend to last 15-30 seconds.

I'm primarily basing this on online gaming (FIFA or call of duty on ps5) but as I work from home it affects my calls on MS teams etc.

I've tried a few things so far:

Purchased a new TP link router

Forced separate 5ghz connection

Disconnected all devices except one to test

Connected ps5 through ethernet and wireless

Adjusted connection preference in router setup to favour a device

My usual down speed is somewhere around 50mb and this seems pretty consistent but I don't have any recordings of the ping spikes as not sure how to go about that.

I've run out of things to try based on googling it so have resorted to a post here in the hope that someone has a potential solution

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi

1. Open the Windows Run box by pressing the Windows key and the letter R. 
  2. Type "ping " followed by the IP address to ping. ...
  3. Type "-t" after the IP address to run the ping continuously

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Sn1004
First Timer
Message 2 of 7

thanks for testing the line

ive been running the ping and trace tests but not been able to catch it at the time where its lagging - is there some way i can run a longer test? i imagine it would need 5 mins to catch the spike taking place

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Hi,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the connection stats currently look ok. Would it be possible to run a wired ping and trace route the next time this happens and post the results into the thread please?

Run a Ping or Traceroute - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

0 Likes

Sn1004
First Timer
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for reading. I have updated my profile 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 7

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Sn1004 your post has been escalated but you need to add your landline phone number to your community profile so that you can be identified please don't post personal details here. 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile:personal-info

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes