Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router restarting by itself

Barry_houghton
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 9

Over the last few weeks, my router at various times during the day has been reset, but not by me or anyone in my household, when the internet drops out I check status and DSL is showing uptime is only a few seconds, it is not every day but it is becoming quite frequent. 
I understand updates are sometimes needed, but I thought these happened overnight except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. zero day vulnerability fix). But there have been too many of late. 
I have run hardware checks and nothing comes up and speed is fine, but it is very inconvenient when trying to work from home. 
Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there anything I can do or can someone check to see if there is an intermittent fault. 
many thanks

Barry

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi

Ok, then the next option is for an engineer. I'll drop you a PM to confirm some details.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Barry_houghton
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 9

Apologies for the delay replying, had to source a corded phone to do the test, that is done now and there is still some crackling on the line. 
many thanks

Barry

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi Barry

Thanks for your reply.

Noise on the line can affect the BB connection so we have to investigate this first.

Is the noise still present if you connect a corded handset at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Barry_houghton
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 9

Hi Debbie,

the line has a slight crackle to it on the dial tone. 
Many  thanks

Barry

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hi Barry

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test is detecting a potential fault with the landline service. Are you experiencing any noise on the line when making calls?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 9

The only known issue I'm aware of that can cause the router to fully reboot affects the Huawei DG8041W Wi-Fi Hub, but not sure if you have that Hub or the Sagemcom.

If you do have the DG8041W then check the logs for any mention of 'Kernel Panic' errors.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

0 Likes

Barry_houghton
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 9

It’s one of the new routers, most of the time I am not near the router when it happens but when I can get to it the light is flashing orange. 
I am not sure which are the correct logs, I downloaded the logs to my work laptop so may be able to share with Oce tomorrow. 
If it is just dsl dropping, there must be an issue somewhere as throughout Covid and before the service has been consistently up almost 100%. 

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Barry_houghton,

It might not be the router actually restarting, it might just be the router losing connection with the internet and having to reconnect.

What model of router do you have ?

What do the light(s) on the router do when this happens ?

If you are familiar with how to log into the router and check the logs then that may also give an indication as to what is happening at the times you have these issues.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

0 Likes