cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Solid white light on the router but no internet connection

bmlr95
Team Player
Private Message
Message 28 of 28

Moved house and had our connection set up on Monday (7/11/22) - since then the internet has been patchy but mostly functional. 

But since last night we’ve had nothing at all, despite a constant white light on the router. Tried restarting and resetting everything, but no luck.

I’ve tried calling and troubleshooting, and got nowhere. TalkTalk have run countless “line tests” and found a fault, but no updates over the last few days. 

Fault ref number if helpful - REP-12084898

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Message 1 of 28

Hi

You do not need to swap the routers if all is well, but it's entirely up to you if you want to send back the old or new one. Speeds will differ at your new address as each home will have a different speed rating based on the distance from the exchange and the product used.

I am glad to hear that the connection has however been more stable for you.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

bmlr95
Team Player
Private Message
Message 2 of 28

Thanks so much for all your help - we’ve managed to both be online this past week, and the connection is a lot more stable.

We didn’t swap routers in the end - is it worth still trying this / do we need to return the new one? 

It’s certainly slower than what we’re used to, but when we moved we had to downgrade from Fibre due to it apparently not being available at our new address, so this is likely the issue? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 28

Hi

I've checked the courier, delivery was attempted on the 12th but failed, currently at the local depot awaiting re-delivery.  

i'll drop you a PM with the Yodel tracking Number.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 28

Hi - thanks for checking, still no change unfortunately. 

We’re still waiting on the new router for testing, but no sign. Is there a way to track it? 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 28

Morning,

Just checking in to see how you're getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 28

Hi bmlr95

Please can you send me a Private Message with the serial number from the back of the new router?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 28

Yes, works and is stable if it’s just me. When she connects too, it kills the connection. We tried to vice versa again - me turning off my WiFi, her connecting alone - and she got a connection, but a very slow one. 

Not sure if it makes any difference but mine is Apple, her’s is Windows. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 28

Hi

Ok, if you only connect your laptop is the connection/speed ok? (Until the 2nd laptop is connected)

0 Likes

Message 9 of 28

Sorry Debbie, we don’t have a way to connect her laptop with a wired connection - it doesn’t have an Ethernet port. 

We reset the IP configuration on her laptop and we can now both get a connection, but it’s so slow it’s often not loading sites at all. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 28

Hi bmlr95

So just to confirm, if you connect your partners laptop wired is the connection ok?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 28

Hi both - just as an update, we had consistent internet connection yesterday still using the old router. 

The only difference was that my partner was in the office all day. Now she’s home again, it’s not working. We ran a few tests - if she turns her Wi-Fi off on her laptop, I can get a connection on mine. But it doesn’t seem to work vice versa. 

Unusual, I know! Any ideas? 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 28
0 Likes

Message 13 of 28

Thanks so much Debbie and Chris for your help - will keep this thread updated, fingers crossed! 🤞

Message 14 of 28

Hi bmlr95

Thanks for the Private Message 🙂

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 15 of 28

Hi bmlr95

Please can you send me a Private Message to confirm the name on the account, I can then send the router.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 28

Thanks Debbie, that would be great.

As an update - our internet kicked back in again yesterday evening, and has been consistent-ish since, with a few dips.

Message 17 of 28

Hi bmlr95

I can send a replacement router to the address linked to the telephone number in your Community Profile, will this be ok?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 28

Sorry, this is the only one we have. What’s the best way to send one? 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 28

Do you have another router that you can test with? If not then we can arrange to send one

Chris

Message 20 of 28

Correct. We don’t have any wired devices, but several connected to the Wi-Fi (TV, two smartphones, two laptops) - all of them connect to the router, but aren’t getting any internet. 

0 Likes