cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Speed test via service centre asks for WiFi connection

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

This is not, at this moment, a complaint about speeds - I've just moved to Fibre 65, and speed is slightly improved over Faster Fibre - previous package.

My complaint is that navigating through the Service Centre to its speed test, I am asked to name devices connected via WiFi. Except for temporary usage of WiFi devices, all my devices commonly in use are connected via the wired LAN.

I have commented on this some time back, when I had a reply of,  effectively, "We are unable to test without WiFi."

What I want, usually is the speed to the router, and I use the Thinkbroadband speed test. It would be nice, however if I could get your active speed test - rather than the previous night check, which seems to the other way via the Service Centre.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 12

I'm afraid I'm still not seeing this issue about requiring a WiFi connection. It must just be affecting some customers and not others. The Service Centre is a shambles though, I reported issues with it some time ago and nothing got fixed so I wouldn't hold your breath that they will fix this issue for you either.

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 2 of 12

This  need, to connect with WiFi, has occurred only in recent months; I couldn't say when.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

@jayesjay wrote:

Using these "external" speed tests doesn't alter the fact that the TT speed test via the Service Centre requires at least a temporary WiFi connection.

I've used the TalkTalk service centre speed test many times on my PCs connected by ethernet and no wireless devices connected. I've never once had and message asking me for a WiFi connection. Am I missing something?

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 4 of 12

I note that support-test uses OOKLA which for at least some time was also the speed test used, or at least displayed as the "publicly" available test via the TT Service Centre links.
I note the samknows test shows as slightly lower than the others (on one pass).
Using these "external" speed tests doesn't alter the fact that the TT speed test via the Service Centre requires at least a temporary WiFi connection.
I did try this using my phone, and it worked OK. So the status quo is as described by Chris.
Summary: I ran:
1) OOKLA : 32.5
2)supportal-test (also OOKLA) : 32.7
3) samknows : 32.8
4) thinkbroadband: 32.9 bursting to 35.1 (tbb uses two different configurations, single thread and multithread.
5) TT Service Centre, with WiFi connection:
To Router: 29; To Phone: 29 (Samknows gave same result with phone connected. This was at variance with the last midnight value:
"Speed to your Router
Est. speed: 26 Mbps - 32 Mbps
Measured speed: 35 Mbpsa"

Thanks all for your contributions.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Hi jayesjay

It's also good practice never to rely on just one speed test as they can all give a different result, based on location, server load etc, so I always use a couple to get an average reading.

I've always found sam knows speed test to be a useful comparison.

https://speedtest.samknows.com/

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 12
0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 7 of 12

I did a couple of tests/ 

1) Tried printing with  my HP inkjet via WiFi.  Had a problem there with speed measurement, although it printed Ok. Let's not worry about that.

2) Also I turned on WiFi on my mobile phone, and there was a successful speed measurement to the phone (33M)

Outcome, more or less OK. It works as stated, I'll not worry about the inconvenience so long as I can use thinkbroadband for a quick measurement. 

Thanks for help, all.

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 8 of 12

Thanks, Chris.

Even so, I might as well list the response:

"Your devices need to be connected to your TalkTalk home network
via WiFi."

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 12

Aha I can see what's happening there: click on the link above; srcoll down to Check your speed; click there and it should take you to a live test. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 12
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Hi jayesjay,

I'm sorry about this, we have raised this previously and it may be something that's looked at in the future, apologies for any inconvenience.

Chris