Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

windows XPS pc wired connection not working

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Just joined and new router working with all WiFi. Problem is  my wired connection to my windows XPS desktop pc? It worked great with old broadband supplier a month ago! Any advice appreciated.

Mario
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Jackie28,

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any assistance?

Thanks 🙂

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Jackie28 

Michelle has asked me to help you. Please can you try these basic steps:-

1. Try another Ethernet cable, making sure both ends are securely connected.
  2. Is there a green light on the network card in the PC.
  3. Log onto the router & see if it shows the LAN port as Up (you didn't say which router you have now), so cannot be precise.
  4. Try a different LAN port on the router.
  5. If none of these has helped, in Windows go to Device Manager, find the Ethernet adapter under the Network Adapters section. Right-click it & select Uninstall. Once done reboot the PC & check back in Device Manager to see if it re-installed OK.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Keith, thank you so much for responding. I completed the steps you mentioned, and, after a minute or so I can load web pages. I can't however send anything like email, or indeed a response to you in the Forum via the cabled PC! The router product is HUBBDG804WN if that means anything to you, I don't see any other router type name on the back of it. It's an old PC, so may just have to accept it's not up to the challenge. 

Mario
Highlighted
Community Star

Yes it is an old PC & XP is no longer supported, but that should not stop an Ethernet connection from working. What were the results of my questions 2 & 3? The number you quote is not a valid router make/model.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thank you Keith, again. The router is Huawei DG8041W. There is a light on where the cable connects to the desktop. I also changed the port connection to the router.  Under device driver, I uninstalled and rebooted the network adapter. The LAN is working correctly according to the network adapter settings. I

Mario
Highlighted
Community Star

The next thing to check is the IP addressing information that the router has allocated to you. On your PC, please go to the command prompt & issue this command:-

ipconfig /all

and press the enter key. If you could take a screenshot of the output & include it in your reply, thanks.

Keith

Highlighted
Popular Poster

1585754803597-1796507834.jpg

Mario
Highlighted
Community Star

Thanks for that, can you try this command in the command prompt as well:-

tracert google.co.uk

Wait for it to complete and go back to the command prompt, then get me a screenshot (PRT SCN key & paste into Paint, rather than a photo) of this output. 

Thanks.

Keith

Highlighted
Popular Poster

1585755724681791927135.jpg

Mario
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Sorry Keith can't use Paint cos am on a tablet photographing the PC monitor, hopeless I know!

Mario
Highlighted
Community Star

No worries, but in future to get a screenshot in XP (so much easier in Windows 7 or 10) you press the <PRT SCN> key on your Windows keyboard which copies the whole of the Desktop as an image on to the clipboard. Then you can paste that into Windows Paint or Microsoft Word etc if you have them on your XP PC & then save them, The difference in quality will always be far superior than a photo.

OK back to your problem, it must be your PC, as that shows everything is working perfectly from the PC to Google.co.uk. What Internet Browser are you using, could you try a different one & see what happens then?

Keith

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Keith.I used Google Chrome on the desktop, and I also tried Firefox. Web pages do load, but I can't e.g. respond to you via Talk talk community forum on the desktop. Hence using a tablet to email and take screenshots. Would it be worth trying to delete / update a browser? The computer has 2GB RAM and the Intel Pentium processor is 2194 MHz, if any of that is relevant.

Mario
Highlighted
Community Star

You can try another browser, but in the end, you will have to consider upgrading this PC as it could be very vulnerable to malware etc, even Windows 7 recently stopped being supported.

Keith

Highlighted
Popular Poster

That's helpful Keith.  Thank you so much for all your expertise,  time and patience. Much appreciated!

Mario