Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre speed has decreased

23 REPLIES 23
Greenwood
Conversation Starter

Around the 30th of December onwards my fibre has dropped from 18-20mb to 5-10mb despite nothing changing in my home setup other than I renewed my contract at the end of November 2018. I've done all the usual steps - disconnected all devices including a wifi extender, turned the router off for 30 mins (I've also left it off overnight) but still no change. There doesn't appear to be any issue with the phone line either. I've got the DLink router and it keeps a steady 5-10mb so I dont think there is an issue with the router. I've tried various speedtests including the talktalk one which itself confirmed something doesn't look right with the results. Could one of the OCE's take a look at my connection please, my number is on my profile. Thanks in advance.

Community Team

Hi Greenwood,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed has dropped and I can also see re-connections on the line.

Does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

Greenwood
Conversation Starter

Hello Michelle,

The main soocket (with master socket) is upstairs so I'll have to disconnect the router from the Talktalk TV box so I won't be able access the internet TV channels. I'll give it a go when the little ones are asleep and let you know. As I said before, nothing has changed our side so not sure why the service has descreased so much.

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi Greenwood

Would it be possible to leave the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs whilst DLM is monitoring the connection in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

Greenwood
Conversation Starter

Hello Debbie,

I put the router in the test socket temporarily to check whether there was much improvement. Download saw a marginal increase to 9mb but upload doubled to 8mb range.Unfortunately the test socket is upstairs so cant leave the router there permanently as the talktalk tv box requires an ethernet internet connection to access boosts and on demand features. I then returned the router to it's usual location near the tv box and the same 8mb download and 4mb upload. As I said previously nothing has changed our end since December once we saw the decrease in service other than renewing the contract. I will try to leave the router in the test socket for longer when I have chance when the little ones are less likely to notice!

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Greenwood

Thanks for your reply.

Were you able to leave the router at the test socket for a full 48hrs?

I can send a replacement router for testing if you would like me to arrange this? This would rule out any possible issues with the router.

Thanks

Debbie

Greenwood
Conversation Starter

Hello Debbie,

Sure if you could arrange for a replacement router to test that would be great.

I forgot to add I also changed the microfilters and unplugged the phone to see whether that made any difference but no change.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Greenwood 

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Greenwood
Conversation Starter

tt_dlnk_router_20190124.JPGDLinktt_huwi_router_20190124.JPGHuewai

Hello @OCE_Debbie,

Thanks for the new router to check, I've set it up but unfortunately it seems to be the same slower than expected speeds. Over the weekend I'll try the new router in the master socket and leave it there to see if that improves things.

Thanks again

Community Team

Hi Greenwood,

Ok thanks for the update. It can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to start making changes to the sync speed if the connection remains stable. Please let us know how the connection compares over the weekend.

Thanks

Greenwood
Conversation Starter
Hello OCE_Michelle, @OCE_Debbie,

Replacement Hauwei router has been plugged into the master socket since Sunday afternoon, still around 8mb down and around the same upload (upload higher than usual when in master socket). Can you see any changes your end with your tests?

Thanks

Greenwood
Conversation Starter

Also I have tested both 2.4G and 5G frequencies, not much difference between the pair of those when running a speed test.

Community Team

Hi Greenwood,

I think we're going to need to pass this over to our network team for further investigation, can you just confirm that you're not experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line 

Thanks

Chris

Greenwood
Conversation Starter

Capture.jpg

Good morning Chris,

There wasn't previously any issues with the phone line, however since the router is plugged into the test socket our phone isn't available as we've disconnected it. I'll reconnect it this evening to recheck but previously there weren't any issues. Here's the speedtest results over the past few days. As the router is in a difficult place we're doing over wifi rather than wired test but there didn't seem to be much difference when testing right next to the router or at the other end of the house.

As I said before in the thread, up until the end of December we had speed over 15mb but since then seems around 6-8mb with both the Dlink and replacement Huawei router.

Community Team

Thanks for the information. Your sync speed is low so we'll need to look into this. If you could let us know how you get on with the telephone we can then ask our network team to take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Chris

Greenwood
Conversation Starter

Hello Chris,

I tried the phone as requested this evening and there was no issues. I could talk to and hear the person on the line clearly and there was no crackles or noise. We didn't have any issues on the phone prior to the loss of speed either and are using the same handset and setup.

I have now disconnected the phone and returned the Huawei router into the test socket.

I can provide the full speedtest history if you or one of the other OCEs wish for this to see the prior speeds I was getting, if required just let me know.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Greenwood,

Thanks for trying the phone. I've raised this to our network team for further investigation, can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for update

Chris

Greenwood
Conversation Starter

Good morning @

Please can you check for an update, I've run another speed test this morning and it's still 6-7mb download and 7-8mb upload. Router is still in the test socket and has been since Sunday afternoon.

Thanks

Community Team

Good Morning Greenwood,

There's no update yet so I'm chasing this up with our network team. If you don't hear anything later today can you bump the thread again tomorrow and we'll check again

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi Greenwood,

I've received and update from our network team, they've logged this out to Openreach as a none appointed task. We should receive an update within the next 48 hours so if you don't hear anything beforehand can you bump the thread again on Monday and we'll check for updates 

Thanks

Chris