Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet connection drops every 10-15 minutes

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi I'v been monitoring my connecttion during today using ping -t.

Every 10 or so minutes the connection is lost entirely for 5-10 minutes.

This is causing havok with trying to work from home as I cannot stay connected to group calls etc.

I've rebooted the router to no effect. Can I get an engineer to investgate?

David
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @davidf987 ,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this forum to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

Highlighted
Team Player

The phone appears to be working as normal, I was able to use it to contact the automated helpline.

Engineer came this morning (thanks for the quick action) but said there was nothing wrong with the line.

It still intermittently drop and the router loses it's connection. I'm running ping traces so I can see when it drop out.

Is it the router? It's been fine until this weekend.

David
Highlighted
Team Player

I have updated my profile.

Please can I get some assistance because I can't have disruption like this to my service. I will change it if needs be.

David
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi davidf987,

Line test is passing now. Do the lights change on your router when the connection appears to drop?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes. It flashes white and orange.

David
Highlighted
Team Player

Actually it blinks orange. I think it alternates when it's reconnecting...

David
Highlighted
Team Player

IMG_1302.JPEGIMG_1305.JPEGIMG_1306.JPEGIMG_1307.JPEGIMG_1308.JPEG

David
Highlighted
Team Player

Just to reiterate THIS IS KILLING ME. I'M WORKING FROM HOME and most of my time is spent in online meetings and I keep having to switch to my phone because my connection drops, which means I'm tethering for 10 hours a day.

Should I send the bill for this to TalkTalk?

I have to get this resolved or move to a different provider ASAP.

David
Highlighted
Team Player

@OCE_Chris @Skynet_TX 

Any chance of some further assistance?

David
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @davidf987 ,

The staff will get back to you to try to help, however it is best to wait for them to respond rather than adding lots of new posts to your thread. The staff have an automated workflow, and if you add lots of new posts to your thread it can delay your topic getting to the top of their workflow, and so delay them being able to respond to you.

If you had an engineer check the line and they say all was good then it would be good to try to prove the fault is not with the phone wiring in your home (unless the engineer checked that too). If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

If you happen to have another cable to connect the router to the phone socket and another microfilter (if required) then it would also be well worth trying that, just to eliminate those as possible causes too.

Highlighted

Hi david,

I'm sorry for the delay. The line test is still clear. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes please.

Is there any other causes from your side for this?

Also what are my options for cancelling my service with TalkTalk. As mentioned I am working from home and the constant drop outs are stopping me from doing my job.

Thanks

David
Highlighted

Hi

I'm showing this is logged with Openreach, have you been in contact with our colleagues to have this logged out ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Karl 

Yes I contacted the telephone support. They confirmed over 20 dropouts from the router in 24 hours.

They arranged to send out an Openreach Engineer but I don't see that this will accomplish much. Internally my network has been unchanged in years and has always been perfect.

Thanks

David
Highlighted

Hi

Fibre services still also have a small element of of copper line from the cabinet to the house.  This can have issues such as worn joints that can impact a connection and cause drops.

An openreach engineer can have a look at this side of things.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Karl 

Yes I know. The Openreach engineer that came out today was actually investigating similar issues from 2 or 3 of my near neighbours and so has switched us to a new board. Looks like the fibre port in the cabinet was at fault.

The Openreach guy was super helpful though. Internally everything is fine and the copper is also ok.

Fingers crossed this is the end of the issues!

David
Highlighted
Team Player

Also good because I was 2 clicks away from buying a new router online!

David
Highlighted

Hi

Glad to hear the engineer has been able to help.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips