Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Low speeds, despite paying for Faster Fibre

49 REPLIES 49
CasJim
Team Player

I upgraded to the Faster Fibre 67MB service in the summer and I've now given it a LOT of time to adjust but still only getting speeds of around 30MB download. (see attached speed test - just completed).

The router is the original one - D-Link DSL-3782 - from when I joined up a couple of years ago and, to my knowledge, it's never been upgraded.

Obviously, this isn't the levels I'm paying for so want to see what solutions are available please?

James
Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @CasJim,

Are you doing the speed test from a wired or wireless device, it is always best to do them wired to get accurate results.

If you go to the Service Centre what does it show your measured speed as, if this shows as a much higher number than your speed test results are giving you then it would be worth switching the router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will start a new 'session' in the street cabinet, this can sometimes help it provide those higher speeds.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will also be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two.

CasJim
Team Player
Hey @Skynet_TX,

thanks for that. I was running the speed tests whilst wired, but via a Powerline Adapter.
Got the same speeds on that method or wireless though.
Today I've tried a direct connection from the laptop into the back of the router, and, it's increased slightly, to the high 30s, but still not the 'up to 67mb' I was hoping for.
James
Skynet_TX
Community Star
If you go to the service centre what does it show for your 'estimated speed' and 'measured speed'
CasJim
Team Player
Estimated speed is 31-57mb
Measured speed is 56mb

I've just done the Ookla speed test again (albeit wireless this time) and it's now showing 18.51mb down and 11.25 up!
James
Skynet_TX
Community Star
Did you try switching the router off for over 30 minutes
CasJim
Team Player
Just done that now...
I've directly connected the laptop to the router afterwards, and it's now at 41MB down and 11.8MB up.
James
Skynet_TX
Community Star
Ok, so that proves you are on the speed boost, as both your up & down speeds are now faster than you can get on Fibre 35, but if your measured speed is 56 then you would hope your down speed would be closer to 50 than 40. It would be best to leave the router on 24/7 just to see if the speeds increase over the coming days. Also the staff here should be able to reply within a few days and might be able check your connection to see if there is anything else you could try.
OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi CasJim,

I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault. Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line? Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter and router at the test socket please so we can re-run the line test again?

Thanks

CasJim
Team Player
Hi @OCE_Michelle,

Thanks for the reply.
I've connected the router to the test socket via a microfilter, so it's ready to re-test.

Thank you.
James
CasJim
Team Player
PS, no, there's no noise on the line
James
OCE_Michelle

Hi CasJim,

Thank you. I've re-run the line test again now which is now clear, however the line is not in sync. Is the router currently switched off?

Thanks

CasJim
Team Player
Hi,

It's definitely on, but the 'broadband' and 'internet' lights aren't on now it's in the test socket. Can I check I've connected it properly? Microfilter phone type connector into test socket, 'ADSL/Modem' lead from microfilter into back of router?
James
CasJim
Team Player

Hi,

Images of setup attached 😀

James
OCE_Michelle

Hi CasJim,

Can I just confirm, is there a dial tone if you connect just the phone at the test socket?

Thanks

CasJim
Team Player
Hi,

Yes, just rang my mobile from it, either plugged directly into test socket, or thru the microfilter.
James
CasJim
Team Player
Hi @OCE_Michelle,

just so you're aware, I've had to put the line to the router back into the data line on the phone socket (as I'm working and need the connection!).
The front of the box is still off though, so can go back to testing if needed... (the microfilter is actually still in there).
James
OCE_Michelle

Hi CasJim,

Apologies for the delay. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

CasJim
Team Player
Hi,

it's got to be worth a try I think, so yes please.
If there's anything else I can test in the meantime, just let me know.

thank you
James
OCE_Debbie

Hi CasJim

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie