FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speeds have dropped a long way

jimmymumu
Whizz Kid
Message 31 of 31

My wifi hub has been great, never really had much of a problem until last night. Got cut off around midnight for ages. Turned the router off till i awake around 5am. Since 5am my connection speed is less than 1mbps when i normally get 46mbps. Nothing has changed on my computer that is running windows 10 and connected wirelessly. I've tried connecting via cable too and that brings the speed up to 5mbps. Could you look into this please?

0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 21 of 31

I'd much prefer you to take over here because even though an engineer was booked according to the replies i have on twitter, they've now informed me nothing was booked. I don't feel it would be beneficial seeing as it seems to be affecting so many people in my area. She asked me today for 3 different timed speed test through a wired connection. My first was 39.6Mbps at 2.pm now i'm on 3Mbps at 16.45. It will rise to 5Mbs around 11. This is how it's been all week. After 3pm I can't get on the yahoo to check my mails.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 31

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. You mentioned in one of your last posts that our Twitter Team were looking into this for you. Are they still helping you or would you like us to take over here?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 23 of 31

Hi. I've not heard from the engineer yet but on my local Facebook group, there is over 30 other TalkTalk customers in my area S35 that are experiencing the exact same problem as I and they all started when the Broadband went off last week. I think you should be looking deeper in to this at possibly an exchange problem, rather than just looking at people who post on here. From here it looks indicative of a bigger problem.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 31

Hi jimmy,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Message 25 of 31

Hi. My speed is around 7mbps at the moment. Earlier today it was up to 40mbps. Yesterday it was 1.5mbps from lunchtime onwards. My main pc is directly wired to the router now as i thought it would reduce the potential for any problems. An engineer visit has been arranged via your help on twitter. Thanks

ps 8 minutes later it's up to 30mbps. All i want is a stable reliable connection.

0 Likes

Message 26 of 31

Morning,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. The connection now looks stable for 48hrs, however the sync speed has dropped slightly. Would it be possible to run a wired speed test now and let us know what speeds you're currently seeing please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 27 of 31

My WiFi hub wouldn't connect to the test socket yesterday but it does now albeit at 1.5mbps. My really old HG633 which i don't use as a rule because it was unstable connects also at the same speed. I've tried new cable to both with no improvement. My hub has been the best router ever, extremely rare for disconnections and a good reliable speed too. I would hate to lose that to an inferior product. I have had several HG633S and none of them were very good with my connection!

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 28 of 31

Hi jimmy,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however the connection looks unstable. Can I just confirm, do you mean that the older router does work at the test socket? Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 29 of 31

Absolute nightmare...  Decided to check all cabling and swap for new just in case. The WiFi Hub will not work from the test socket at all. I've undone the faceplate and all that but no joy. I have a totally unreliable old router that disconnects a lot (the reason for having the hub originally) It too won't work through the faceplate but will through the test socket.  My internet speeds are maxing out around 1-1.5mbps Still a massive drop. There's no more i can do now. There was nothing wrong with my original cabling because i've reverted to that with the same results..

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 30 of 31

Hi @jimmymumu,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to ‘Run a live connection test’ on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will also be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two. You may get faster support from the live chat or by phoning up during opening hours.