cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Disabling/opt-out of CGNAT and/or requesting a static IP ?

CherryLeaf
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 5

Please see these posts on Reddit and the LTT forums for some more context. Reddit post 1, Reddit post 2, LTT forum post.

These have a lot more context, and especially in the comments there is a lot more info as the posts developed. Here are some useful comments. Comment 1 ; Comment 2 ; Comment 3 ; Comment 4

And here are some links to some potentially useful screenshots. It has my TalkTalk Amazon Eero network port forwading screenshots, and some settings in Unraid, Wireguard & Tailscale. Set 1 ; Set 2 ; Eero settings.

My main question is: How do I disable/opt-out of CGNAT and/or request a static IP from TalkTalk.

So basically, I have built a home server which is running Unraid. I want to use it mainly as just a big storage device on my network - NAS. This is great for 90% of the time while sat at my computer, but the other 10% of what I wanted to do with it, was be able to VPN remote into my home network on my phone whilst connected to 4G/mobile data, so that I can access documents and photos etc. while away from home.

However, NOTHING I do is working. I have tried so many tutorials and followed them to a TEE. Everyone in my other posts cannot wrap their heads around what has gone wrong, as I have done everything on the server/VPN side correct.

This is leading me to believe that the issue lies somewhere with my network provider. Which is why I am here. How can I fix this ?

Some people in my other posts have mentioned opting out / disabling CGNAT. I am not going to even pretend I know anything about what that is or means. I have tried to research it but it goes right over my head. Networking is not one of my strong suits. Which- you guys'll have to bear with me if it get too network jargon-y with any advice/replies...!

So yes either disabling CGNAT, or requesting a static IP (or both?). Do you think this could be a viable fix? How do I go about this with TalkTalk ?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 5

Yes, this is similar to DuckDNS, the difference being that No-IP is the only free DNS provider (with restrictions) that is compatible with your router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

Is this similar to DuckDNS ? I set this up as per a YouTube guide on setting up WireGuard to access the server. But I couldn't get this to work either ! How would this work and how would I incorporate No-IP (or DuckDNS) into remoting into my Unraid server from my phone?

I am not sure what it is now, since on my other forum posts, people seem to agree that setting WireGuard and especially Tailscale, were done perfectly, and in any other case it should be working for both - i.e. Tailscale setup and/or WireGuard + DuckDNS. However, since I followed the official setups and other guides for both, and they continue to not work correctly, that is why I was suspecting the issue is stemming from my ISP/network somehow/somewhere ?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 5

You can always use a DDNS provider such as No-IP.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 4 of 5

Morning,

Just to advise, we don't offer a static IP address. @KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any advice please?

Thanks

Michelle