cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

New TalkTalk Booster not working

MakeItWorkPlease
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 48 of 48

I have fibre 65 internet and it works fine. 

Received the new Sagemcom F@st 266 UK V2 booster from talktalk the other day. The setup works fine and it goes through the lights, etc.. and it "works". i.e. solid blue light after the WPS procedure. But after a minute or two the light changes to flashing orange and it no longer works. 

Have restarted the router and booster numerous times and the same always happens. 

Setup is done very close to the router. The router is also compatible. Its a Sagemcom Fast 5464. 

Is something wrong with my booster?

Thanks.

0 Likes
47 REPLIES 47

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 48

Do you remember the 266 flashing blue & green indicating it was trying to update its firmware? If so, which side of the router being updated to V202?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 48

Firmware 158 was the minimum for the V1 F266 booster, V202 is the minimum for the V2 F266 booster. Your SSIDs are strange, because you were connected to a totally different SSID before, that contained the word "Van". In your AP view screenshots the Shell networks are only shown in about one of those.

Please can you log into the router & go to (assuming the desktop version):-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon Wi-Fi Mesh

From there, go to the Overview, then Extenders sub-tabs and get me screenshots of each one.

The WiFi scan throttling will not improve anything, it just means that the WiFi analyser will keep checking for new networks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

MakeItWorkPlease
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 48

Just tried it all again with wifi throttling off and got the same results. Once the connection is established the "shell-857c70" AP appears for both 2.4 and 5GHz and after a minute they disappear the the amber light starts flashing. No other AP appears at all during the whole sequence. 

0 Likes

MakeItWorkPlease
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 48

Hi All,

Thanks for this. 

I thought the minimum FW version was like 156 or something from reading other posts... anyway, it now is at 202 and it behaves exactly the same. Restarted my router and the extender then did the setup twice. same results as before. Works for 1 minute and then it crashes. 

@KeithFrench , yes it is, the V2 F266 is called "SHELL-857C70" on my screenshots. This only shows up for the minute the light starts solid blue. once it blinks amber the "SHELL" AP disappears. The first extender had a similar name "SHELL-3200". You will see that the "shell" AP only appears on the screenshots that I named (Extender ON and solid blue light).

Regarding the SSID name, that's correct, I need this in order for other smart devices in my home to work. Most of them only work in the 2.4 GHz frequency. 

I can try disabling the wifi throttling, will let you know if anything else shows up. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 48

Hi @MakeItWorkPlease 

Your V2 Fast266 is not displayed in any of the screenshots that you have sent me. Please can you repeat them, now that @Karl-TalkTalk has updated your hub's firmware.

One other point, you have split the SSID (network name) into two different ones. Whilst I doubt if this is the cause of the problem, the Hub & Fast 266 all need to use the same SSID. Please can you reconfigure them?

I notice also that your WiFi analyser is reporting that Wi-fi scan throttling is enabled on your Android device running the WiFi analyser. This is not to be recommended, as it limits the number of networks detected in a short time period. This could mean that the SSIDs from the 266 might be present, but are not displayed due to this Android feature being enabled. To disable it, please see this article:-

https://www.wifianalyzer.info/?s=wi-fi-throttling#:~:text=Since%20Android%20OS%20version%208.0,limit... 

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 48

Hi @MakeItWorkPlease 

The Hub firmware V202 is the minimum required to work with the V2 F266. So if your testing was done before @Karl-TalkTalk updated the router's firmware, then you will need to retest.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 27 of 48

Hi

Whilst Keith is looking at this, I've updated your router firmware for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

MakeItWorkPlease
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 48

Hello @Michelle-TalkTalk , @Chris-TalkTalk , apologies for the delay in getting back to this. 

The new extender does exactly the same as the original, it does not work. Setup is fine for 1 minute (solid blue light) and then it crashes again. 

@KeithFrench , thanks for the guide. I have taken the screenshots and will be sending them to you via PM just now. Thanks again for assisting with this.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 48

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 48

I forgot to say, please don't use NetSpot as in this case, it won't give me the information that I need.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 48

Hi @MakeItWorkPlease 

Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you. I will send a PM to you that contains a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference. It is quite long (about 30 pages), but you will probably only need to look at three or four pages in total. Initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This is the first link in the table of contents. This section includes full details of free Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Select the analyser of your choice & my guide explains how to use it.

If you are using Wi-Fi Scanner, then please attach the zip file to this thread. As soon as I have downloaded it, I will remove the attachment from your post, to preserve your privacy.

With all other analysers, please follow my instructions below.

Collect the screenshots that I require and include them in your reply.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please as they can be difficult to read, because the text can get out of focus when zoomed in. Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 32 of 48

Yes, please send the guide over and I can get you the screenshots.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 48

Hi @MakeItWorkPlease 

How are you getting on, do you want me to supply you with my guide on getting me the diagnostic information from a WiFi analyser?

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 48

Hi @MakeItWorkPlease 

The booster needs to be on, but in a failed state.

The firmware that you have on your router will be V174 then.

Do you have an analyser & if so which one, as not all will display the information I require? I can send you my guide that covers the best free WiFi analysers & how to use them if you want. I would need to see screenshots of the main AP view & the 5GHz channel displays,

Keith

0 Likes

Message 35 of 48

Hi Keith,

The last digits of the firmware was 177 if I remember correctly.

What information would you be after on the wifi analyser? Does the booster have to be on during the check? If so, what stage do you want it in? I.e. solid orange (ready to pair) or when it is blue for 2 minutes after setting up?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 48

I am helping another customer currently, who also has the Version 2 FAST266 booster and is experiencing an unstable connection like yours. What firmware is on your router?

To confirm if this is the same issue or not, I will need you to run a free WiFi analyser app for me & get me some information from that. If you are happy to do this, with my help every step of the way, then please let me know.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 37 of 48

OK, I've ordered the booster and a returns bag to send the old one back in

0 Likes

MakeItWorkPlease
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 38 of 48

Hi Chris,

Yes, if you can that would be great. Thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 39 of 48

OK thanks for trying. I can arrange to send another booster to test with, would you like me to do this?

Chris

0 Likes

MakeItWorkPlease
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 40 of 48

Hi, the guide you sent is not for the booster I have. My booster only has 1 LED light. Regardless, I have followed the setup that came with it in full and it still does not work. The guide is similar to the one you sent but it has different LED responses, button hold times, etc...

The issue is still the same, it connected for 2 minutes and then goes into "error" mode. 

0 Likes