FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One for the support team members

Peter Spencer
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 11

Hi - I could do with a faster broadband connection but I cannot have Fibre To The Premises because I live on a marina which only has copper phone lines. 

I was hoping to upgrade my TalkTalk connection to FTTC.

The problem is that the TalkTalk website says that you cannot provide it to my location but the Openreach fibre checker says that Fibre To The Cabinet is available for my address. Also several other providers have an option for FTTC available to me.

I would like to stay with TalkTalk and I wondered if you could tell me if it is true that you do not provide FTTC to my location.

Below is a screenshot of the options given by U-Switch which says you can provide it ( but they are probably mistaken!)

Thanks,

Pete Spencer

Screenshot_20211014-114606_Chrome.jpg

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Peter Spencer
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 11

Hi John,

I did some googling about how long FTTC will last before it is phased out and it seems that most experts say it should be 2025 but Openreach are so far behind that it looks more like 2030 or even later. Apparently the 2025 date was due to government pressure to make fibre broadband available to the whole country. So I will get a few years - and they have promised that nobody will lose their broadband.

Now it is a choice between BT and Plusnet. I have been with BT many years ago and they were OK but I think they have got worse since then as far as customer service is concerned but some reviews say they are improving lately. Plusnet was very good but are getting steadily worse. 

So - BT is marginally cheaper to start with but tend to whack up the price at the end of the two year contract.

Plusnet are a little more expensive and want an up front payment for some reason ( 19.95) but they do an 18 month contract so if they are bad I won't have to wait as long to dump them.

It actually seems to have come down to the router they give you - BT's is the latest one and it's good. Plusnet give you the older one that BT used to give you. 

Also - the Plusnet one is white and the BT one is black which would match my other equipment ..... !!!!

It is sad that there is so little difference in providers that the choice could be decided by the colour of the router 😃

Cheers,

Pete

0 Likes

John_G
Problem Solver
Message 2 of 11

Pete,

Just so I don't mislead you... Openreach are aiming to get FTTP (replacing FTTC) to 80% of UK premises by thenend of 2026, there's also a chance another smaller provider may lay fibre to your marina.

So, up to you, but you could get a good few years out of FTTC before it disappears.  

As you say, the internet is full of bad reviews.  My father is on PlusNet and in-laws on TalkTalk.  I don't want to promote other ISPs on TalkTalk's forums but in my opinion both suppliers are at the "value" end of the market, both are great when everything's working, both can be a struggle to deal with if you get an unusual problem.  I'd happily use either TalkTalk or PlusNet if they had the best deal for me.

John.

0 Likes

Peter Spencer
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 11

Hi John,

It's a bit of a pain but it is a result of living in the middle of nowhere. It is odd how my expectations have changed over time. The marina I live on is extremely large and when we moved here I didn't expect to have a phone line at all so it was a surprise when I found I had one to the property ..... Then I was pleased to find I could have basic ADSL ..... but now I want more! - never satisfied!!!!

If FTTC is ending in a while then I wonder if it is worth bothering having it - and risk losing my good TalkTalk connection and service.

Plusnet is an unknown quantity to me - I've looked at reviews and they get nearly as many bad ones as TT! - but most people don't bother writing good reviews, but are quick to write bad ones.

Cheers,

Pete

0 Likes

John_G
Problem Solver
Message 4 of 11

Pete,

That's interesting!  I suppose the long and the short of it is that TalkTalk don't supply FTTC to your address and others such as PlusNet do.  I'm just burbling wondering why, which won't really help you, but anyway....

I suppose right now a copper line runs to your green box, then back to the exchange, hits some TalkTalk equipment and everything works.  With FTTC your copper line would run to another nearby green box where it hits the fibre network which runs back to somewhere which may or may not be the same telephone exchange or a distribution point, let's call it "Place X".  If TalkTalk doesn't have kit in place to accept a fibre connection at Place X then they can't supply you with FTTC.

Would that ever change?  Guesswork, but if new kit to serve FTTP customers at Place X would also benefit FTTC capacity then quite probably.  If it's an FTTC specific limitation then, as FTTC is due to be discontinued in favour of FTTP over then next few years, it seems less likely.

A shame if you have to leave a good TalkTalk service, but it makes perfect sense that as time goes on 11Mb/s download becomes more and more of a limitation.

John.

0 Likes

Peter Spencer
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 11

Hi John, thanks for your reply.

I've just used your link and it shows that VDSL (clean) and VDSL (impacted) are both available so I would have thought that TT would be able to offer me a 36mb connection but perhaps it is on their to-do list.

I looked at Plusnet and they can offer me FTTC with a minimum of 36mb guarantee so I may have to go with them but I really do not want to leave TT as I have only had one connection problem in nearly 3 years and the technical support people ( Karl, Michelle and Debbie) were really helpful and sorted out really quickly.

My problem is that I have a few IP cameras that use the cloud for storage and notifications, along with a few bits that use Smartthings which also use the cloud. My 11 mb connection is working ok but it is starting to get a bit overloaded and is struggling at times - especially when two fire sticks, three tablets and a couple of phones are used as well.

Thanks - Pete

0 Likes

John_G
Problem Solver
Message 6 of 11

You may want to take a look at this site:  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

It will give you some idea of what is possible over the Openreach network which TalkTalk use for ADSL and FTTC.  For FTTC to be available to  you, you want a product starting with "VDSL" to be present in the "Featured Products" column and for it to be "Available".

If there's no VDSL-based product then Openreach don't provided it, so TalkTalk can't sell it to you.  It's unlikely to appear now as the focus is on FTTP.  If a VDSL-based product is listed but its status is "Waiting List" then your cabinet is full and you'll need to wait for it to be expanded by Openreach or for someone to leave the service.

Good luck!

John.

0 Likes

Peter Spencer
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 11

Cheers

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Peter Spencer
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 11

Hi Karl, thanks for your fast reply.

Thanks for checking for me - I'll keep checking on the TT web site periodically. Hopefully you will be able to provide it in the future.

Thanks again,

Pete Spencer

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 11

Hi

I've checked directly on our network system and this is showing that fibre is unavailable to you at this time.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes