cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Router channels keeps changing due to auto optimisation

Welshy_Pete
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 24

Hello when I was last on normal speed broadband I had the auto optimisation switched of due to the channels and slow speeds. This was fixed but now I've moved over to full fibre the auto optimisation back on and the channels are putting me on very very slow speeds now. It's effecting everything even connections now been going on several months now. The full fibre should be faster not slower.

I'm on full fibre now with 2.4ghz and 5g. So can I please request the auto optimisation to be switched off for my router so I can manually choose and select a good pair of channels my self?

Many thanks

Peter

23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Hi Welshy_Pete,

I've mad a change here to see if this helps. I can only see 2 devices connected at this moment, one of the devices has been moving to the outer ranges of the Wi-Fi signal , but looks ok at the moment sitting at -55dBm, so midway.

See if the changes I've made here, improve the connection over the course of the day.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 24

Hi @Welshy_Pete 

Customer Services on the phone won't be able to help.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 24

HI @Welshy_Pete 

I did escalate the problems that WiFi optimisation is causing you. TalkTalk has fed this back to their devices team. Beyond that, it is out of my hands now, Sorry.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

Hello Michelle 

It's all devices that are effected. I have tried them all on there own even its the settings auto optimisation.

So who has the power to change this setting now customer services on the phone?

Thanks

Peter

0 Likes

Message 5 of 24

Hi Welshy_Pete,

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately we no longer have the option to switch off the Wifi Optimisation. Can I just confirm, is it a specific device which is affected when the channels are changed automatically?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

Hello Michelle

I raised this when I was on fibre the problem was fixed the channel numbers. The router stayed on the ones I wanted and I got the correct speeds and connections this was fixed.

But since I moved over to full fibre the speeds have slowed down and connection problems due to the channels changing all the time to busy channels.

Yesterday I tried this below

I tried resetting the router and changing settings. That's why 2.4ghz and 5g were being setup again.

There both up and running now the channel changing the main problem now. The channels where in control with just fibre broadband. But soon as we upgraded to full fibre the channels keep changing.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

Hello Keith

I tried resetting the router and changing settings. That's why 2.4ghz and 5g were being setup again.

There both up and running now the channel changing the main problem now. The channels where in control with just fibre broadband. But soon as we upgraded to full fibre the channels keep changing.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

Hello Michelle

There both up and running now the channel changing the main problem now.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

@Welshy_Pete  Apologies I missed this in my original post. We no longer have the option to switch off Wifi Optimisation. If it is switching to channels which are causing problems with certain devices connecting then we can feed this back to our team who can look into this.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 24

@Welshy_Pete didn't mention anything about disabling 5Ghz and connecting all devices to 2.4Ghz. What he did say, was that since the Full Fibre upgrade, the WIFI optimization has been turned back on, presumably by TalkTalk. And that he has experienced the same WIFI problems, as he had once experienced, before upgrading to Full Fibre.

Bill

0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

Great, thank you @KeithFrench  I'll ask the Devices Team for an update on this but I don't think the new firmware is now due until the end of the year.

@Welshy_Pete  Have you tried factory resetting the router and re-setting this back up again?

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 24

Yes, @Michelle-TalkTalk this was a bug I first found in V158 and has yet to be fixed. It is bug #8 in my current bug list.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

Hi @KeithFrench 

Can I just confirm, have you previously raised this to us before or is this something new that you've spotted?

Michelle

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 24

Hi @Welshy_Pete @Michelle-TalkTalk 

If you disable the 5GHz band on the router, due to a bug in the current firmware, it will not come back OK (even though the router's UI says it is Enabled again). The only current workaround is to do a factory reset on the router.

I think this needs to be fed back to TalkTalk's Devices team as another case where the WiFi Optimisation is getting it wrong. I will do this for you Pete.

Keith

Message 15 of 24

Hi Peter,

Thanks 🙂 Can I just confirm have you disabled the 5ghz channel and connected all your devices on 2.4ghz It looks like all your devices are connected on 2.4ghz.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

Hello Debbie 

I've added the account details now to help things.

Thanks

Peter

0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Hello Michelle 

I've added the account details now to help things.

Thanks

Peter

0 Likes

Message 18 of 24

Hello

I will try and add it now thanks.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

Morning,

Ok, could you add your Account Number to your Community Profile please. Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 20 of 24

Hello Keith the router been reset several times and been restarted plenty as well. This only changes the channel number temp very short times.

Since we went on to full fibre auto optimisation has become a big problem going on channels where there busy traffic causing slow speeds, disconnecting and general to slow to do things now. 

So soon as I pick my own channel number it speeds up running fine. But this keeps switching over which is no good and needs to be sorted due to this basic problem auto optimisation.

Thanks

Peter