FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router keeps dropping wifi to various devices

JamesGleave
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 4

Hello,

In the last few months my TalkTalk router (2yrs+ old) has been intermittently dropping the wifi connection to all the connected devices.  It involves connecting and re-connecting each device individually.  More specifically it also causes the wifi-extender i have to need rebooting.

I initially suspected the wifi Extender a less than 1yr old NetGear EX6140-AC1900.  However I have factory reset it, a few times with no improvement.  I therefore replaced it with a new Wifi-extender a TP-Link AC1200.  It worked for a few days but suffers the same problem as the NetGear.

I therefore suspect the Talktalk router is disconnecting various devices and reconnecting but in a way that is meaning the wifi extenders and other devices have to connect and disconnect.  I have tried configuring different SSID's for the 2 frequency ranges of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, which i always had configured and both frequencies lose their connections.

Please could you advise if there is anything I can do in the router or replace the router.  I have rebooted a few times and changed settings to minimise networks.  It's in a strong signal location of which I have had no problems in the last 18 months until this intermittent problem started occurring approximately 4 weeks ago.

With a busy household of kids and working from home, its proving challenging to keep on top of all the resets and would like to resolve the issue.

Many Thanks

James

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

You could initially try switching the router off for 30 minutes, but if this doesn't resolve the problem then the next step would really be to try a factory reset

Chris

0 Likes

JamesGleave
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 4

Hi Chris,

I could try this but I have learnt that this will also turn the WIFI Optimisation back ON.  Which I don't want after struggling with wifi interference about a year ago.

However, I am willing to try it if you don't have any other idea's/options?

Thanks

James

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 4

Hi James,

You could try restoring the router to factory default settings, I think it's worth a try if you haven't done this already

Chris

0 Likes