cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

4 minute drop outs

Rowan88
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 21 of 21

Hi,

I have noticed in the past 3-4 days something has been off with my FTTP 900.

Basically its as if the internet has dropped but not enough to disconnect me.

I noticed it when playing LIVE videos on Twitch or streaming. It would freeze but if I reloaded or backed out and in it worked fine. Also on Youtube sometimes the thumbnails would go missing which also raised suspicion. I tried all the troubleshooting steps like resetting the ONT and Eero Pro 6 and also trying wired vs wireless but all have the same issue.

I tried the Line Test in My Account and it shows there is an issue and it raised a ticket but after speaking with support it doesn't sound like they understand what my issue is, they only see it as internet working or not etc.

Tonight I manage to attempt a test and streaming a live video at high bitrate so it wouldn't have much time to pre-load the information would run for 4 minutes (give or take 20secs) then freeze. This confirmed to me that there is an issue. If I run speed tests I get 950 down/up so the speed is fine.

I spoke with my neighbour who has the same package as me and he ran the line test and got the same issue.

I asked support when I would hear from the engineer (1 day, 1 week, 1 month etc) but they couldn't tell me. I work from home so having a stable internet is vital.

Is there anything anyone here can help me with this issue or check TalkTalk's side of things?

Thanks

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

When did they say they would order it (unfortunately I can't City Fibre router orders)?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

Ok.. it was just when I ran it this morning it seemed like it opened a fresh ticket..

But as I say aslong as internet is fine Its all that matters. 

How can I find an ETA on my router delivery?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Hi Rowan,

It probably just showing that message because the fault is still open, it should disappear when the fault ticket closes

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

As the internet is running fine to my knowledge but the test is giving an error..  could it be the test is faulty?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

In terms of the 4 min dropout, if we switch Nord to use OpenVPN then yes it seems to be fine so far (strange why its all of a sudden stopped working for TalkTalk though, unless someone else using it can confirm it works fine for them with FTTP?)

I ran a "Test Your Line - Run a connection test" and it still came back with the Active Faults - The fault is being looked into, so does this mean there is some issue between TalkTalk and my ONT??

Also, I was getting a Eero Pro 6 delivered but I have yet to receive any confirmation email or when it is due (I was only told it would be Yodel), are you able to check this for me?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Morning,

Can I just confirm if your connection now completely stable? Have the 4 minute drops outs now stopped altogether?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

I have another update if this helps...

I managed to get everything running ok using the NordVPN app, but what I had to do was go into Settings and change the Protocol from RECOMMENDED to OpenVPN (TCP). So far this is making it all work the way it normally did.

That being said it still doesn't explain why the Line Test shows an issue so hopefully that will get solved by Friday...

I wonder if this has been something between Nord and TalkTalk/BT that has caused an issue.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hi,

No problem. I agree, if it doesn't end up being related then we can look into the VPN issue further.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Thanks I appreciate your help so far...

End of the day regardless of if im using app or not etc when we run TEST LINE in the My Account and it says there is an issue then there clearly is something on CityFibre end needing addressed.. so lets get that sorted then worry if the VPN app still wont work.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming and hopefully the engineer will be able to resolve this for you. If you don't hear anymore by Friday then please let us know and we can check for an update.

Thanks

Message 11 of 21

Yes my neighbor has the same package as me only difference is he doesn't use an Eero but a more advanced router... but same as me he gets same issue... the line test gives him and error (and we dont share a line so issue must be from the street box exchange I assume) ... if he uses nord through the router its fine but using the app drops connection every 4-5mins...

These are the only reasons we are putting the pieces together thinking something on the line doesnt like the app... even though it has for months. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Hello,

You mentioned in your initial post that your neighbour is also experiencing the same issue. Is your neighbour also using a VPN when this happens? If you don't hear anymore from the engineer in the next 24-48hrs then please let us know and we can request another update for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

We ran some different scenarios and what i found were:

- If nordvpn app was disconnected it seemed to run ok with no drop out.

- If nordvpn app was connected we got the 4min issue.

However I used an old router instead of the Eero and enabled VPNClient with NordVPN Openvpn so i was protected by VPN through the router and not with the app and it worked fine also.

This led me to believe the app was causing the issue but I contacted a few friends and it works fine for them.. I have already tried reinstalling the app plus it happens over mulitple devices (pc, phoned etc) so its narrowing the search down to Line vs App.

So if the app is the issue then surely something in the cityfibre line is causing this to happen? As stated my setup had worked fine for months so surely it's no coincidence that even though the app is causing it that the line test is giving an error on talktalk side something is connected here..

It points to some issue between TalkTalk/CityFibre and the NordVPN app..

Hopefully this information had helped..

If there is any program or tests u would like me to run that will show when it drops out and why I can do that if someone explains how.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay. The team have confirmed that CityFibre are investigating this. Just to confirm, this now only happens if you are using a VPN at the time?

Thanks

0 Likes

Rowan88
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 21

Not sure if this is 100% but the test I have been using on Twitch.. with Nordvpn enabled it disconnects after 4mins but without it it ran longer. 

Has something changed in terms of Talktalk with Nordvpn?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Hello,

Thank you. I've passed this over to our Faults Team now and will post as soon as I receive an update back. It's possible that the team may also try and contact you directly.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

That should be both showing on my private profile for you now.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Hello,

Ok thanks for confirming. Do you have a FTTP number? Please can you add this to the Private Notes section of your Community Profile and also add your name. Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

0 Likes

Rowan88
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 21

CityFibre installed it in my area.

Its been working fine for 2 months but this is the first issue I have had.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 21

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, was this installed by Openreach or CityFibre?

Thanks

0 Likes