cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

DNS Problems

JaceyBoy
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 81 of 81

Hello, I seem to have major dns problems, my laptop keeps disconnecting and saying failed to connect to dns, but also one of my Samsung Smart TV has done the same, I have used public dns settings which make it better but why shouldnt I be able to set to auto and it work?

Jason
0 Likes
80 REPLIES 80

JaceyBoy
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 61 of 81

Yes it is...

Jason
0 Likes

Message 62 of 81

Thanks for the update, is your router currently connected to the test socket?

Chris

0 Likes

JaceyBoy
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 63 of 81

Hi Chris,

Have changed back DNS settings but we had loads of problems last night with connection, I think maybe we should try another new router again please?

Jason
0 Likes

Message 64 of 81

Could you leave them on public for the rest of today and then switch back to auto tomorrow

Chris

JaceyBoy
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 65 of 81

Ok will do, should I revert back to auto dns settings instead of public?

Jason
0 Likes

Message 66 of 81

OK thanks. If you could make a note of the date and time that you experience any further DNS errors I can check to see if the internet connection was lost at the time

Chris

0 Likes

JaceyBoy
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 67 of 81

Yes Chris they do...

Jason
0 Likes

Message 68 of 81

Do the TV and laptop both connect to the router by wireless?

Chris

0 Likes

JaceyBoy
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 69 of 81

Not that I know of, although I dont go on my laptop and tv at the same time...

Jason
0 Likes

Message 70 of 81

Do you get the DNS errors on both devices at the same time? 

Chris

0 Likes

JaceyBoy
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 71 of 81

It is a weird one, I thought my Lenovo laptop was to blame because it was always dropping out with DNS issues, but now the Samsung TV doing it so not sure now...

Jason
0 Likes

Message 72 of 81

DNS errors are often internet connection problems really. The web-browser attempts to query the DNS server but can't because the internet connection is down and so give a DNS error, so it may just be that your internet connection was unstable yesterday for some reason but it appears to be OK today

Chris

0 Likes

JaceyBoy
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 73 of 81

Not today so far using public DNS setttings, although I havent tried the TV and wont be until this evening, why would auto dns be a problem now as never has in the past?

Jason
0 Likes

Message 74 of 81

Hi JaceyBoy,

Your router has the latest firmware. Line test is showing a number of reconnections yesterday but none so far today, are you still experiencing problems today?

Chris

0 Likes

JaceyBoy
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 75 of 81

Hi Debbie,

I have factory reset it many times, doesnt make any difference, can you check to see if the latest firmware is up to date please?

Jason
0 Likes

Message 76 of 81

Hi JaceyBoy

Ok, can you try factory resetting your current router (pin hole reset) to see if this helps?

0 Likes

JaceyBoy
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 77 of 81

You sent me a new router last month I think  but I ended up keeping the old one as the new one (refurbed) seemed worse....

Jason
0 Likes

Message 78 of 81

Hi JaceyBoy

When did we last replace the router?

0 Likes

JaceyBoy
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 79 of 81

Hi Debbie,

It depends, this has been going on a fair few weeks now, I rebooted last night when the downspeed went from 55mbps to 47mbps on the router, to try and get the Samsung TV to work with Netflix etc, it didnt work until I changed the DNS settings within the TV then worked but the screen quality was poor to say the least like it was struggling for download speed.

Jason
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 80 of 81

Hi JaceyBoy

I'm sorry to hear this. 

The line test is clear but I can see a high number of re connections on the line.

Are you rebooting the router to resolve the issue or do you wait for the connection to come back on its own?

0 Likes