cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Slow Eero Wifi speeds

chiller149
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 7

Hello community! 

I hope someone can help me. I've been on calls for quite some time with the Talk talk tech team and quite honestly just loosing patience with the script they run through that has yet to understand or help with my problem. I have a 500Mbps full fibre line into the house (ONT) that connects to my first main Eero router by the front door, in the next room (office) about 4m away I have my second Eero router. The speed coming into the house is around 500mbps (good) and the speed to the first Eero router is around 500mbps (good).

If I connect my laptop to the main router via ethernet I get ~500mbps but if I disconnect Ethernet and use Wifi (next to the router) I get ~20-50Mbps. Fast internet, fast cable . Slow wifi. 

I have been testing this over and over in as many different way that i can, with different devices, everything turned off/disconnected, different placements, close to router 2 m away, 5m away etc. Have rebooted and reconfigured everything within an inch of its life (as have many, many tech support chaps over the year) but my conclusion so far is that the Eero wifi network is very slow.  I have run some tests on the network and the devices I have tested have on average ~750Mbps TXrates  of the theoretical 1GBps of the Eero's. Now I understand that max speeds are dependent on a great many things, but if i have 500 into the ONT, and 500 from ONT to Router1. Then if i only have one device connecting on the wifi i would want to see close to that speed on a 1Gbps router with device TXrates above 500, if i'm close to the router and no other noise no? But i consistently see ~20-50Mbps. In rare cases I get 60-65Mbps. 

I am now plugged into the second router via ethernet at 1Gbps and the speed between router 2 and router 1 is the same, so even Eero to Eero connections are slow on wifi (4m apart). I've gone down rabbit hole after rabbit hole, double NAT, bridge, router placement you name it, but after nearly 2 years of trouble shooting i still do not have fast wifi in my house. Has anyone else in this community faced the same issue and found a solution? Thank you in advance. 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 7

Hi @chiller149 

As I said before, you will not get any better than this, unless you use either 5GHz band.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

chiller149
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 7

Thank you everybody for all your help. I still do not have speeds over 70 MB per second on the Wi-Fi I have now unplugged all connected devices smart plugs Amazon fire stick six Septra and have removed them from the Eero app. I have changed the password on the router so nothing can connect other than my Macbook. The macbook is wired into the second Eero and the speeds now between the two mesh routers (5M apart) are around 70Mbps. I'm not expecting to get 500Mbps on the wifi just because I have it into the ONT box, but surely if i have one device connected on Wifi a few meters away then I would expect much more than this? 

A few pictures for reference, if i unplug everything and add single items to the wifi and have them next to the router, you will see that laptop/phone/ipad and TV are all supper close to the main router and even when they are the only device connected i'm still not getting any good speeds. I would love to know what other people are getting with a 500mbps ONT -> Eero.6pro -> wifi -> laptop connection this close to the router. I image at least 300-400Mbps given the Eero is supposed to support 1Gbps and i can see TXRates of 700-800Mbps sec on the macbook. 

For the support guys, these pictures also highlight why I'm pretty sure adding another router to the system will not fix my issues. 

Thank sin advance for any help 

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 12.46.21.pngScreenshot 2024-08-20 at 12.46.12.png
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 7

I think that your 2.4GHz band is probably suffering from WiFi interference.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Whilst the eero is supposed to manage Wi-Fi interference, if this is very bad, particularly in the 2.4GHz band, then it cannot do anything about it, no router can. The same goes for any router at that point. Other things that may then need to be investigated are its location within your property and the WiFi bands that you use. It is possible that you may also need to purchase additional eero nodes as it is supposed to operate as part of a mesh system. I can help with any of this. However, I would suggest that you follow my help to find out what the root cause of the problem is, before throwing money at it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 7

With the 500Mbps service, even the specifications of your WiFi adapters in your devices may not be of sufficiently high enough specification to get close to the 500Mbps. However, you should get much better than an average download of 40Mbps. There will be no Double Nat considerations between any mesh nodes, or the ONT & even if there were, this would not impact speed. First off I think that FF500 comes with one eero Pro 6, is the other one that you have another Pro 6 or just an eero 6?

Please can you PM me (to protect your privacy) screenshots from whichever WiFi Analyser you are using? I will need to see the main AP view from both the 2.4 & 5GHz bands and any scrollbars positioned so that your networks are clearly visible in there. Then the Signal Strength/time graph, plus the 2.4 & 5GHz channel displays. Then I will check them for you. I will also need to know your network names (SSIDs).

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 5 of 7

Hi Karl, 

Yes I have tried 4 different laptops and about 6 different phones.

I ran some more tests again yesterday. I turned off the second router to try and rule out the double NAT (between Erro 1 and Eero 2) I don think the ONT does NAT? Just the first Eero is that correct? Turned all the devices off, paused all the devices in Eero app and tested wifi again with different devices at 1,2,4,6,8m away from the Eero 1 using different tools to test (Wifi Analyser app, fast.com, speedof.me etc) and the average was around 40Mbps,  all with clear line of sight. I dont know of anything that could be causing disruption, no antenna's or other routers, radios etc. I live in a quiet road and not much other traffic/router signals really. 

If I plug in any laptop to the router I get the full 500Mbps, but any device in any location, with any number of devices connected (and now any variation of Eero config) I get a very typical 20-50Mbps on a rare occasion it jumps to maybe 60-70 but this is still super low for a 1Gbps wifi router with a tested 500Mbps internet line no? 

Thanks 

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 7

Hi

Quick question, have you used your laptop on another connection over Wi-Fi and seen fast speeds to this, verifying that there is no issue with the Wi-Fi card in laptop etc.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes