cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

good full fibre deals for existing customers

guitarman3
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 67 of 67

hi guys. getting loads of trouble with my fttc  and thinking about switching to fttp as it's available in my area now. has anyone got any good deals for full fibre while switching from fttc to fttp?

0 Likes
66 REPLIES 66

Message 21 of 67

thank you michelle. 

0 Likes

Message 22 of 67

Hello,

Thanks for trying this and I'm glad to hear that the connection has come back on. I've passed this over to our Faults Escalation Team now and will post back as soon as we receive an update. It's possible that the team may also try and contact you directly.

Thanks

Message 23 of 67

thank you for your help. as you may see in my latest post i went outside and the drop cable bracket attached to the buiding is not fully secure either. it could easily come loose over time especially during high winds. oh and another thing i've just noticed, they seemed to have dropped a lot of cable clips with the protruding nail heads along the line feed from the drop cable bracket to my property. i'm finding them everywhere along my driveway. could easily cause a puncture. once again terrible openreach workmanship.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 67

thanks michelle,. just did a power down and left it for 30 seconds and we now have a connection so thank you for that. to be honest the engineer did a very poor job in installing the ont in the first place. it's only just staying on the wall. it needs to be installed correctly and repositioned. they drilled 2 holes for the screw holes but got it all wrong then had to drill another 2 holes further up the wall and made the same mistake.  i asked them to position the ont where i wanted it on the wall and they said the best place was right next to the  incoming fibre cable so they didn't respect my wishes. total joke if you ask me. just had a look  outside where they have attached the drop cable bracket to the building and that's not fitted correctly either, they used a normal hand held screwdriver  to attach the screws and it's not quite secure to the beam, overtime i can see the bracket coming lose. i think a competent engineer needs to look into this to rectify the issue. the ont needs to be installed correctly and in the place i requested and that drop cable bracket also needs attention. could you arrange someone to come out as soon as possible to sort this. thanks again 

Message 25 of 67

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, is there still no connection/lights if you power down the ONT and then try and connect again please?

Thanks

guitarman3
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 67

Well would you believe it my Ont  box has just died. No lights no power no internet nothing. Someone please send an engineer to sort this mess out. I'm  calling from my mobile. Thanks

0 Likes

Message 27 of 67

I think it needs to go to CEO level. 

It's dreadful to see this level of ignorance and carelessness in those delivering what is supposed to be crucial infrastructure, @guitarman3.

As customers we have to work through our ISP so I would feedback to Talktalk first. 

And Trustpilot is a good place to post for critical comment.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 28 of 67

yes the workmanship was terrible and i'm not at all happy today. where would you say was the best place to go to complain? do openreach not have a quality control supervisor to inspect the work carried out? thanks

0 Likes

Message 29 of 67

Not just a headache. More like a nightmare. 

It's not the first ONT we've heard about recently not being properly fixed and so falling off the wall etc.

It simply will not do! Worth using feedback channels, @guitarman3.

It's a national scandal, having so much money being flung at this "upgrade" project across the country if that's the standard of work being delivered. 

Message 30 of 67

thanks you for that information. this forum is a great way to get things sorted . what would i do without you all🙂

guitarman3
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 67

Let me continue the story of the installation if you will? So the engineers said that they had instructions to go underground with the cable but they didn’t know where the duct was on the property so I told them it was around the back of the building. Then they asked me where the nearest BT street grid was so I told them (surely they should have known this). While they were thinking how they would tackle the job they suddenly realised there was a telegraph pole with working fibre block terminal so they decided to abandon the underground method and concentrated on connecting my fibre via the overhead method. Before they went ahead they asked me if the telegraph pole was safe to climb. WHAT!  That’s when I started to worry. Openreach engineers asking me if the pole was safe, ridiculous. So if I said yes and they had an accident whilst climbing it would somehow come back on me. Of course I said I didn’t know. Ok, so I live in a bungalow and they somehow came to the conclusion that the best place to attach the drop cable from the pole was, wait for it, just under the bungalow’s guttering. I said there is no way you can have it that low and they asked why not? I said all it takes is a high sided vehicle to pass and its goodnight cable and even may cause damage to the pole itself not to mention danger to the driver of the vehicle and also a possible lawsuit on my hands. After some thought they wondered if they should attach the drop cable via two doors down as this bungalow has a apex roof and would be high enough as not to cause an obstruction. (I live in a block of six terraced bungalows so it was possible). They couldn’t fit the ladder safely to the apex so placed the bracket further down the apex at the front of the building, not ideal but better than their original plan. They then started routing the cable via the outside of my two neighbour’s properties and finally arrived at my bungalow. Now this was when they had to join two tiny hair thin bits of fibre together by using what is called a splicer machine. I’ve been doing some research and the main cause of fibre to the property problems is dirt on the fibre strand as it’s being spliced, imagine my horror when I saw one of the engineers wiping this thin strand of fibre with really dirty fingers. Don’t be surprised if I have to contact talktalk in the near future with speed and connection issues. Anyway I asked them to fix the badly fitted ont box on my inside wall but they just took it off the badly positioned screws and put it back on again then said “there you go, fixed”. It fell off the wall after they left and I had to position it slightly differently, not ideal but it won’t fall of the wall. Oh and by the way, the hole that the fibre feeds through from outside is too big for the wall plug that should secure the cable from the inside so that’s loose also, I’ll need to fill it with some silicone filler to stop it from coming loose in the wall. They used a plastic bag to collect the dirt from the drill holes but some of it landed on the carpet and skirting and they didn’t bother to clear it up. And finally. I had to remind them that they left the duct cap off the exposed copper connecters that they originally looked at around the back of the property.  I stayed with them during the whole installation process and the scary thing is if I just let them get on with it and left them alone that drop cable positioning just under the bungalows guttering would have been a grave concern. I’m not an openreach engineer by any means but I’m sure I could have done a lot better job than these two. I hope if I need an openreach engineer in the future it won’t be them. Please forgive my saga but I just had to get it off my chest.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 67

@guitarman3, it often takes quite a while for My Account to be updated for FTTP.

Any problems with the billing, post back in the billing section of the forum as and when.

Sounds like it's been rather a headache all in all!

guitarman3
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 67

Full fibre installed today but it's been stressful. I’ll talk about the installation later but I’ve just been onto the called centre to update my plan as I went live today to the £26pm for 18mths and 2 months free as was agreed last week. Totally angry and frustrated isn't the word. five call centre staff and an hour and ten minutes only to be told I’d have to call back after the fibre stabilisation period (14 days) for the change from £29.95 pm over 24 months to the newer deal. They had no information at all about the cheaper deal I took out until I told one of the staff the time and date and name of the person I spoke to last week. Then suddenly ahh, we think we have this information now but we can't make any changes for 14 days call back then. So as far as I’m aware I’m still on the expensive package for at least another 14 days even then I won't hold my breath. I’m so exhausted and angry. Now for the installation.

The two engineers turned up as planned ok. They first installed the ont box in the house. Drilled the hole through the inside wall but it came out too close to my satellite dishes  plastic cable cover now it’s held in place by just 3 screws instead of 4. Then they drilled 2 holes inside to attach the ont box to the wall but somehow they didn’t align them properly so the ont box was not only not straight it was also loose to the wall. Wait for this though, they realised they had positioned the ont box to close to the incoming fibre hole so it couldn’t sit flush to the wall anyway due to the plastic cap that covers the hole that the cable runs from. So they decided to reposition the ont box further up the wall. Wait for it, they drilled 2 more holes in my wall and still didn’t get them level. And they were still loose. They then started blaming the make and model of the ont box, can you believe it? There’s more to this story but I’m tired and hungry and upset so I’ll give you more details when I feel better and believe me there is more to this story. Sorry for the rant but I’m just fed up. Thanks guys

0 Likes

Message 35 of 67

Thanks Arne. 

0 Likes

Message 36 of 67

Hi guitarman3

They usually leave a card for you to reschedule, in some instances they send an SMS with estimated delivery times and a link to reschedule if your are not home. 

Hope that helps.

Message 37 of 67

I'm afraid it is Yodel. I was told this by the call centre when I took out the deal. I've had issues with Yodel before and it wasn't good. We'll see what happens.

Fortunely I won't really need the eero on installation day as i can use my existing hub 1 router to go live. Wanted  to cancel the eero delivery but couldn't. Once I go live I was told I could order the hub2 with the voice port. Thanks Ferguson for your reply.

Message 38 of 67

If I knew the answer I would tell you! You may get some speculation along also. If it's Yodel they will probably just leave it in the nearest bush. 😉

guitarman3
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 39 of 67

Hi guys. Just a quick question. I'm due to receive my eero router some time within the next few days. I know it has to be signed for but unfortunely, due to work commitments I probably won't be home when it arrives. There is no one available to sign it for me either. Will the Courier leave a calling card so I can reschedule the delivery to a day of my choosing or will they just leave it at the doorstep anyway? cheers.

0 Likes

Message 40 of 67

Thanks, much Appreciated.🙂